Drinks such as crystal light

schoolgirl1972
on 12/16/11 11:09 am
I was speaking with a NUT who indicated that drinking alot of diet soda or crystal light type drinks only puts your body into the sugar seeking mode... What she mentioned was that if you drink this type of non sugar drinks it kinda throws your body into a confused state, kinda tricking it thinking your giving it sugar so when your systems realizes its not sugar it makes you crave more drinks, food, etc.  Has anyone heard of this before?
owlisn
on 12/16/11 11:15 am - NC
 I have read this same information.  The theory is that since artificial sweeteners aren't real they leave you craving more.  I have to say that even with my own research, I don't know what to believe.  My NUT said that it was not true, but I just don't know.  For now, I am sticking to lemon in my water.
Allison

schoolgirl1972
on 12/16/11 11:18 am
I agree with that. Sometimes I feel the information can be very confusing and overwhelming. I guess it is ... water, water, water.
Live, Laugh, Love

exohexoh
on 12/16/11 11:43 am - West Chester, PA
  i have heard it, but don't find it to be true for me. for me, it's when i have real sugar that i start craving more, not the fake stuff.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

donnakeffer
on 12/16/11 11:46 am - Southgate, MI
 No ,I drink crystal light everyday. My doctor says it is liquid and it is okay. Water is the better choice, but I love Crytsal light. 
Donna
michelle42
on 12/16/11 12:05 pm
I did the food addicts diet a few years ago and you cut out all sugars and they did not want you using artificial sweeteners because they also said that they would stimulate the need for sugar.  I've heard that after surgery you should not drink any carbonated drinks and I believe the theory is that the carbon bubbles in your stomach can stretch out your new stomach.  I don't know if its true, but my doctor says no soda, not even diet and no caffeine because caffeine can stimulate appetite.  I am allowed the crystal light.  Good luck to you, my RNY surgery is scheduled for 12/21/11, I'm very excited and nervous!

Michelle

Jess6580
on 12/16/11 1:31 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
My Dr and NUT said that crystal light is absolutely fine to drink and it counts towards my water intake.  I have been drinking it since my preop diet and I can honestly say it doesn't trigger my hunger or make me want sweets at all.  It helps me get all of my water in, I probably drink 3 bottles of "crystal light" water and 2 or 3 of jus****er and I'm doing just fine, no issues and only 30 calories in the crystal light I drink daily.  I stay away from diet soda because I was told by my Dr and NUT it's a no no.  I may have diet soda eventually, but I'm only 2 weeks out so I'm sure it wouldn't feel good at this point and honestly I'm not even craving it.  So from the information I was given and personal experience I see nothing at all wrong with crystal light.  I also use artificial sweetner in my all natural apple sauce and have no issues.
  HW: 345  SW:329   CW: 226   *16lbs lost pre-op  103 post op so far!*          
qnmimi
on 12/16/11 6:29 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I think ther is some truth to the artificial sweetener "tricking" your body. I have to be conscious about sugar because I do dump with more than a bite or 2. That said, I satisfy my sweet tooth with the artificial stuff. It does not (nor has it) affect my blood sugars unless there are sugar alcohols in the food. All is a trade off I guess.

Most Active
Recent Topics