Healthy Jerky to Try!

hlacy
on 1/1/12 11:41 am - Chandler, AZ
Wynter57 posted about this back in August. I finally tried it (the turkey variety), and I have to say it is amazing!

It only has 50 calories per serving. 2g of carbs, all from brown sugar and cane syrup. 9g of protein. For me, most important with jerky, it's VERY low in sodium, unlike most others (the turkey that is - the beef version is kind of high IMO)! It has guarana in it for energy. As a non-caffeine user, I did not notice any extra energy from it, but it's taste is sooo good! It's tender and satifsying. I highly recommend it!

www.perkyjerky.com/nutrition

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Liz J.
on 1/1/12 12:48 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Im ordering up a sample now. $2.99 isnt bad. Hope I like it. It will be good to have in my purse
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 2:26 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 Just ordered some!!!! Can't wait to try it!
InkdSpEdTchr
on 1/1/12 3:38 pm
I LOVE LOVE LOVE  Turkey Perky Jerky!!!! I have so far only found it in one 7-11, but ordering it is a better deal!

I don't notice any caffeine effects either, but man is it the most moist jerky ever....how do they do that?!?!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Lucky2talk2
on 1/1/12 4:42 pm - Renton, WA
Thank you for this information!!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

erichardy
on 1/1/12 7:53 pm - Greenwood, IN
At what Post-Op stage could I begin eating this? Would it fall under soft foods?
hlacy
on 1/2/12 1:29 am, edited 1/2/12 1:30 am - Chandler, AZ
I would suspect jerky is okay when you start eating regular meats on your plan. I'd check with your surgeon or dietitian. On my plan, we had no stages and started on all foods but raw veggies and grains at one week post-op. Here is another thread with some ideas when others started jerky:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/RNY/4380333/beef-jerky/

GreenGardener
on 1/2/12 12:16 am, edited 1/2/12 12:18 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
Making your own jerky is ridiculously easy. Get a cut of london broil, slide across the grain; marinate in the flavor of your choice (lots of recipes on the internet); line a cookie sheet with foil and put the strips in the oven at about 165-170 degrees. Let sit for about 3 or 4 hours; turn and let sit some more until they are the consistency that you like. I use a dehydrator, but I understand the oven works fine. I get organic grass-fed beef, and use homemade marinade so I can control the salt and other bad stuff. My recipe says to marinate for 8 hours before putting in the oven, but I don't like it really spicy so I only marinate for about 4 hours, then I pat it dry so only a little of the marinade taste comes through.

I have never made it with turkey, but you probably could.

Gonna x-post this on the MB.
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
hlacy
on 1/2/12 1:34 am - Chandler, AZ
I am going to try and make my own turkey jerky one of these days as I do own a dehydrator. Perky Jerky uses turkey breast meat. I don't eat beef but thanks for sharing your process for beef jerky!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 2 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics