Knne replacement without NSAIDS?? TERRIFIED~HELP!!

thin1soon
on 1/8/12 11:59 am
I am facing knee replacement only 3 years after my WLS.  Anyone had this done?  I am so scared of this BIG OPERATION without Advil or Celebrex.  Please help!
thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

melissa_whitener
on 1/8/12 12:11 pm - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 find out if you can use Ultram, generic Tramadol.  It is not a super pain killer, but if taken consistently it takes the pain from "kill me now" to " i can stand it" .  there may be others that your dr knows about that won't mess w your pouch.
stlfocus
on 1/8/12 12:15 pm - IA
I too am facing knee replacement, and my bariatric surgeon said there are safe non-NSAID drugs available. Check with your ortho doc
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/8/12 12:49 pm
I'm a 10 yr out post op and have been taking advil for the last 9 years. Many docs now allow nsaids because they come in gel form. I've taken them with my docs blessing with a few stipulations. Never on an empty stomach, for short periods only-dental work, muscle strain or pull or after surgery. As long as we don't take them all the time, and as long as we haven't had a previous ulcer. My doc allows them and most of his patients have used them with out any problems. I know many post ops on here also use them. It's a personal decision - if you have
ulcers or were pre ulcerative before surgery then it's a no no. Try them and see how you do. I don't take mine EVER on an empty stomach. Gel caps work best. Most wls docs now allow them  so see what works for you. It you aren't going to be taking them every day for the rest of your life 'm sure you'll be fine. After surgery for a short period shouldn't hurt anything.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/8/12 1:14 pm
My mom took vicodin after her knee replacement.  It is not an NSAID.

Winnie

qnmimi
on 1/8/12 3:16 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
It's not the actual NSAID pill itself that is likely to cause an ulcer, it's how the medication itself interacts with the lining of your stomach. Taking NSAIDS for any reason is a decision left up to you and your doctor, but really should be a short term, or last resort drug. Joint replacement can be done without NSAIDS. There are other anti-inflammatory meds that do not cause us problems. Your orthopaedic surgeon needs to thoughtful, and resourceful to keep your pain controlled.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/12 10:52 pm - OH
That is one of the reasons that I have been putting mine off.  I know I can take pain meds as needed, but not having any anti-inflammatory after that kind of surgery (I had a torn meniscus repaired a few years ago, so I know how much joint swelling there can be even after the surgery-related swelling subsides).  Your physician may permit the NSAIDs for a short period of time as long as you also take a PPI.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views