OT- Am I crazy?

Kelly L.
on 2/4/12 6:52 am - San Jacinto, CA
 Ok, tonight my family is having a HUGE birthday party. We have 22 members of our family that all have birthdays in January. We do this party every year so that is no big deal. But this year is a little different for me. I have lost enough weight that it's pretty obvious ( I'm very happy about it) but, I don't like to talk about it. My sister, God love her, makes an enormous issue everytime she see's me over how different I look and I appreciate that she notices but here's my thought ... Okay, you didn't say anything when I GAINED ten pounds! I just feel so .......... awkward! I still feel like a fat chick and by many standards I am lol... but tonight I will be seeing people I haven't seen since I weighed 270 pounds and it's bound to come up. I feel embaressed talking about it and a little defensive (ohhh you had SURGERY.. I did it the HARD way.. you know, right?) Anybody have any suggestions on dealing with it all? Ohhh yeah, think a glass of wine would hurt me.. 3 1/2 months out now :)

HW 274. CW 129

Renee2be
on 2/4/12 6:55 am - NC
A half glass and you will be buzzing major.  I'd avoid if possible makes me extremely high and then sleepy,  I see why alcohol is our main transfer addiction.

As to the other things the questions,  dont elaborate,  just say thank you and it has been a real journey.  I love the new me.   I eat low carb and exercise.   

Wear something that shows off the new you and have a blast.

richarddavis196
on 2/4/12 7:45 am - VA
II know how you feel, I felt the same way. Here is what I found (sorry, words right out of the Amway recruiting book).

I have a very large nosy family. I only told abou4 of the, besides wife/kids, bofore the surgery. During the holidays I went ahead and shared with all of them. Like ripping off a bandaid really. Even the ones I was most worried about, were either supportive or harmless. The only insensitive one that made a comment, asked why I went to that extreme. My response was "YYou have known me for almost 30 years, seen me try diets/exersize to no avail. After consultation with my doctor/nutritionist/exersize therapiset, we decided that this was MY best chance to regain my health." After that, she had nothing else to say but keep up the good work.

I'm glad, because my next comment would have been that her health/weight were not an inspiration to me, lol.

I felt getting it out in the open was best for me.

Good luck

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 2/4/12 7:47 am
RNY on 01/10/12
"Yeah, I've lost some weight.  Hey, how's Uncle Jerry doing?"
"Uh huh.  I'm down a few pounds.  How's school going?"

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

BWB
on 2/4/12 7:48 am
Get used to it and consider it a compliment. I think you would be disappointed if no one noticed. It is a very common operation by now so everyone knows someone who has gone through it. You'll hear stories about how cousin Anna had it and gained all her weight back, etc. yada, yada. Don't let it ruin your day.

Kelly L.
on 2/4/12 8:14 am - San Jacinto, CA
Thanks for the comments folks.. i'm actually really stressed about it.. in tears off and on and I am not THAT girl lol.. oh well one of my good freinds, who also had RNY, is coming so I feel a little better

HW 274. CW 129

Bettisima
on 2/4/12 8:20 am
Smile, say thank you. If someone brings up 'the hard way' you can smile and day.. Oh I didn't know major surgery, watching every single bite that goes in my mouth, and working out was considered easy. I am a bit sassy at times.

People who haven't had the surgery dint understand that at the end of the day, you are still responsible for making good choices about everything that goes in your mouth. You have to be more mindful of what you are eating, what vitamins you are taking. A lot of things most folks don't even consider for a moment.

I get a logic compliments, my standard answer is thanks.. I am working on it. Or I am a work in progress.
dasie
on 2/4/12 7:05 pm
My perspective is a little different.  I don't drive and am home pretty much most of the time meaning I do not see very many people who know me - pretty much just my immediate family.  As a result, I pretty much progressed through this journey with only a few comments from anyone at all.  It is not that I needed them, but it would have been nice to hear them.  Your story may inspire others to have this surgery thus improving their lives.  I am very open about my surgery and freely talk about if someone asks.  Talking about it keeps it front and center in my life.  That is why these forums are so important to me.  I need the support I receive from OH. The negative comments will come and go...just ignore them.  There is nothing easy about this journey - we know that, and that's all that matters.

Kelly L.
on 2/5/12 3:03 am - San Jacinto, CA
 The party was good! Yes, quite a few people made comments. One of my friends who is SMO was there. I haven't seen her in a couple of years.. We had a very long conversation about the surgery. It was really sad, she has no insurance. Apparently she has been researching RNY for years. She told me that as happy as she is for me she is also jealous. She wants the surgery so bad! I feel so bad for her, we never really talked about our weight issues, only when we made self deprecating comments lol. Thanks for the responses. It was good to get a different perspective :-)

HW 274. CW 129

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 142 views