Anxiety!!

Sheila2813
on 2/16/12 11:59 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
 I'm just a few days post, have no pain, just feel a bit weak but I do have real bad anxiety. I've always had an anxiety disorder that I've controlled with Xanax but the last few days the Xanax does not seem to b working. When I take it I feel calm for about 20 min and then get bad again. I'm now taking .5, 4 times a day so I can't imagine taking more and I'm scared to take my Prozac again because I'm so soon out of my surgery and don't know if I can handle a neg side affect like more anxiety which could happen.

Has this happened to any of you? How long did it last? Need your feedback please, the thought of this surgery having made my anxiety worse is something I don't think I'll b able to handle. :-(
poet_kelly
on 2/17/12 12:01 am - OH
Were you on prozac before surgery?  If you just stopped taking it abruptly, that could be causing your anxiety. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bellarella
on 2/17/12 12:01 am
I don't have this specific issue but I wanted to send you support and hugs. All I can say is that I feel better each week. Hang in there!
Sheila2813
on 2/17/12 12:10 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
 Hi Kelly,

No I was not on Prozac before surgery I had been off antidepressants for approx 8 months and had my anxiety under control taking Xanax only when needed. But after surgery it's back with a vengeance and I think I knew that might happen because the whole surgery made me very on edge but what worries me now is that the Xanax is not working and I might need to go back on Prozac to help while I get used to all the changes but I'm worried how that will affect me.

I know I need to speak to my doctors but I value the feedback I get from OH.

Thanks!
Sheila2813
on 2/17/12 12:11 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
 @Bella, thank you for your post!! Wishing you continued success!!
Lucky2talk2
on 2/17/12 12:37 am - Renton, WA
Hang in there! Hugs! I would venture to say... Talk with your doctor.
You came here and that is great to. You can do this and are amazing having made the steps in this journey that you have already made! These are big steps. Take it easy and go minute by minute!

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

myminime
on 2/17/12 1:15 am - Eugene, OR
The post-surgery and quick weight loss hormones are a killer. Even on my meds, I was an evil wench (just don't tell my husband I admitted it!).

Fat cells are full of hormones, and as you burn them, the emotions can go crazy. It's super rough that first month. If you can stick with it, then more power to you, but don't make yourself or your family crazy. If you feel you need to change your meds, do it - personally, there's nothing worse than dealing with all those post-surgery emotions, your first stall (three week stalls are super common) and any food issues ... and irritating yourself and everyone around you

Good luck! Congratulations on your surgery!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Tawni_K
on 2/17/12 2:22 am - South Africa
 Hi Sheila

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all these anxious feelings. I have bipolar type II, and am on a mood stabiliser and antipsychotic medication. I only had my surgery on Wednesday, so I'm new in the game, but I can give you the following advice that I was given by my psychologist
1) Try to keep to the same routine as before - If you used to take you meds at 8am and evening meds at 10pm, then try to stick to that
2) Keep a mood diary - here is an example of a bipolar mood diary (http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/1040-use-this-d iary-to-track-your-mood/ ) but perhaps you can adjust it for your anxiety symptoms. It may help you to get an idea of what is triggering your anxiety and will also be useful if you go back to your psychologist/psychiatrist.
3) In my case, I always had a big breakfast before having my morning meds, and now my tummy is pretty empty, so I know that affects how it works in my body, and also can lead me to have nausea. 

I hope my message doesn't come across as preachy or anythin, I just wanted to share my expereince with you. 

I hope you start to feel better soon. Remember to be gentle with yourself :)

ready_to_shed_it
on 2/17/12 5:54 am
Hi Sheila, I think you should talk to your doctor about that. So far you are doing amazing!! Keep up the good work and take it one day at a time
hylow
on 2/17/12 7:58 am
 About a week after surgery, I noticed that I started getting panicky over the littlest of things. I could feel an adrenaline rush, sort of like a run for your life feeling. I thought I was losing it.  Went to my PCP and she put me on Xanax and explained about hormones running wild with quick weight loss.  It took about 2-3 weeks for the feeling to subside.  But at 11 weeks out I feel back to normal, not more anxiety.
Hang in there, it does get better with time.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 92 views