Hunger--real or imaginary?

shannon0731
on 3/22/12 1:15 am - LA
I am almost 8 months out.  I would say for the last two months, I have actually gotten hungry.  I do not think it is head hunger--it is an actually feeling.  I drink on average 80 oz of liquid a day--16 of protein shake maybe 16 oz of decaf coffee and the res****er or crystal light. I am getting frustrated especially when my friends who have had the sleeve tell me they are NEVER hungry and have to force themselves to eat!! I truly don;t feel like it is emotional--I stay busy at work and home.  I have substituted the boredom eating by doing other things and the emotional eating by redirecting my thoughts.  I do not get hungry jut because I smell something so I don;t think it is head hunger. 

Has anyone experienced this?  I always eat my protein first and still eat slow with little bites.  I can't tolerate salad, but I do eat some cooked veggies after my protein. Not a bread eater but will have crackers of some sort after protein.  I don;t eat a lot of fat--1% milk, 2% cheese, 0 or 2% Greek yogurt but I do eat an ounce of almonds every day.

Please help!! I am scared.  My weight has stabilized and it is too soon fro that! I still have 10 to 20 pounds I want to lose! I have lost 65 so far.
I'm Ready!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/22/12 1:19 am - Baltimore, MD
It's absolutely possible to get hungry again after WLS. Question: when is the last time you looked at the amount of food you are eating? Perhaps it's time to bump up your servings a bit. Maybe eat an ounce or two more of protein. Maybe get some more veggies on the plate. I know when I tried to hold my portion sizes static, I found myself hungrier more often.
shannon0731
on 3/22/12 2:31 am - LA
You know, now that you said that, I have not upped it!  But, I don;t want to up the protein too much, i average between 80 and 100 grams a day.  But I could maybe try more cooked veggies and then some more whole grain crackers.  I know people say that they don't worry about calories-but I use fitness pal and it says I should be eating 1200 on days I don't exercise, more when I do.  And I hardly ever get to that much, usually stay around 900 to 1000.  Maybe I should add a little more fat?  good fat, like % milk and Greek yogurt and some olive oil on my cooked veggies.

I'm Ready!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/22/12 2:41 am - Baltimore, MD
 That sounds like a balanced way to go about it. Usually we sacrifice veggies and fruit at the expense of protein. If you are still feeling an appetite, I say add them back in!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

sweet-tart2012
on 3/22/12 2:39 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Shannon, I woke up from the gastric bypass hungry.  It happens.      Do you have 1 or 2 snacks during the day?    Maybe up the quantity on them (not the nuts - that's probably enough)?  The old timers would say that's too soon to not lose more weight; you may be in a stall.  So, you will continue to lose weight, just hang in there!!  Best wishes

Loreal
on 3/22/12 4:29 am
I say up the fat.  Add an ounce of full fat cheese or some olives and see what happens. Roast some veggies in the oven with olive oil.
Because I'm worth it....
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views