Feeling like I'm extremely hungry after I eat

sniffles722002
on 3/22/12 2:28 pm - Puyallup, WA
 This is an odd feeling.  After I eat I feel like I am starving. This has just recently started happening. Anyone else get this feeling?  I'm just a few days shy of 6 months out. Help!  I don't want to eat too much. 
poet_kelly
on 3/22/12 2:35 pm - OH
Right after you eat?  After everything you eat or just certain things?  Are you drinking with meals?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sniffles722002
on 3/22/12 3:04 pm - Puyallup, WA
Can't say it's EVERY time after I eat, but quite frequently. Noticed it the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it will be both before (which I understand) and afterward. I try to wait at least 1/2 hour before I drink. I do set a timer.  I understand the concept of your brain having to catch up with your stomach too. Doesn't seem to be that, cause that should go away after 30 minutes or so. It's very uncomfortable. 
manda2108
on 3/22/12 3:17 pm
 I've been getting hungry in the evenings lately after I eat so I've been holding out drinking as long as I possibly can. Tonight I waited 2-2.5 hours before I had my water..it seemed to help. Obviously you wouldn't get your fluids in if you waited that long after every meal but if your having the issue at a certain meal maybe it would. A few days ago some members posted that they finish their dinners with a piece of juicy fruit..like watermelon/grapes to help them cleanse their mouth and be able to wait longer before drinking.(Don't quote me on that but it was something along those lines)

qnmimi
on 3/22/12 3:07 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Not satisfied?, or head hunger? When I eat softer proteins, even in the correct amounts I notice that sometimes too. Could be you need to advance the amount you are eating. Make an appointment with your NUT to talk this over. They can give you some pretty good ideas too.

LJ1972
on 3/22/12 3:08 pm - FL
I sometimes have the same issue... eat a good, well portioned meal and as I'm putting my plate in the sink I feel like I haven't eaten in days.
In my opinion it is head hunger. Your mind can make physical symptoms as well. When I get busy and away from food, I am fine just a short time later. I can't just walk away and be ok though, I have to do something active.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

sweet-tart2012
on 3/22/12 3:29 pm - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Are you eating your meal faster than you use to?  I'm still hungry if I eat too fast.  Also, I've noticed certain protein items (sliders) don't feel me up as well.  I need to CHEW!!  So I tend to like chicken better than chili, etc.  Have you been keeping a food journal?  Might try it and see if there is a pattern.  Sorry, can't be more helpful.  Best wishes

BugdocMom
on 3/22/12 4:07 pm, edited 3/22/12 4:07 am - CA
If this is new and sudden and feels like a gnawing hunger, it could be a sign of an ulcer. I'd recommend you run it by your surgeon.
rbb825
on 3/22/12 10:15 pm - Suffern, NY
Is this a gnawning type of hunger - like a growling - your stomach is telling you that you are hungry? This could be a sign of an ulcer.  when people get gnawning pains, constant feeling of hunger, even after they just ate is a true sign of an ulcer.

Are you taking a PPI?  Have you taken one since your surgery date?  Have you taken any NSAIDS at all? aspirin? Pepto Bismol?  IV Nsaids like toradol or NSAID gels like voltaren?  Many people think that because these aren't pills they are okay to take.  or celebrex?  Some surgeons okay this for arthritic patients but still causes ulcers.  Any smoking, alcohol? 

Did you have an endoscopy preop?  Many peope that didnt have an endoscopy preop end up with ulcers post op because they weren't tested for the bacteria HPylori which can fester in the anybody for years but can eventually cause ulcers.  We are supposed to be tested preop to prevent this.  HPylori is treated with 2 antibiotics and a PPI for 14 days and then rechecked.

I am just giving some possibilties.  If you do have these gnawing pains, I suggest you get to a gastro doctor to get an Endoscopy to see if you do have an Ulcer and if it is HPylori so you can get treated properly.  Dont put it off.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/22/12 10:28 pm - Baltimore, MD
I had/have that and for a long time it perplexed me until I realized I was reading satisfaction as hunger, which I truly believe is a mental thing. My need for satisfaction (comfort) elicited the want for more food. Strange as it sounds my psychologist said there is some merit to that theory.

Usually when I feel this way if I take another bite I can clearly see I am NOT hungry anymore.
Most Active
Recent Topics