Can I swallow Centrum Silver chewables whole?

kittehkitteh27
on 3/28/12 4:05 am, edited 3/28/12 4:41 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
I have been searching vitamin posts today. I have read the posts about why the chewable Centrum Silver are better (selenium, etc) but I really hate chewing vitamins anymore. Think it would hurt anything to swallow them whole? I have no problems swallowing pills. Anybody tried this? I want the benefit of the chewables without having to actually chew them.

Thanks!

**Update**

Nevermind, I have no reason to choose the chewables over the tablets anymore. (See my post below if you want details.) Guess I'll just grab the tablets!

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

_Donna_
on 3/28/12 4:09 am
I wasn't aware centrum silver made a chewable. Why not just buy the centrum silver pills? That's what I take.

RNY 5-5-2011

kittehkitteh27
on 3/28/12 4:40 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
The tablets don't have selenium which can be a problem for some people after WLS. However, I just read an article that states:

Plant foods are the major dietary sources of selenium in most countries throughout the world. The content of selenium in food depends on the selenium content of the soil where plants are grown or animals are raised. For example, researchers know that soils in the high plains of northern Nebraska and the Dakotas have very high levels of selenium.

Whole grain breads, cereals, and noodles, brown rice, and low fat cottage cheese can be good sources of selenium.

Lean beef, fish, eggs, and poultry can be excellent sources of selenium. Brazil nuts contain high amounts of selenium.

Selenium occurs in staple foods such as corn, wheat, and soybean as selenomethionine, the organic selenium analogue of the amino acid methionine.... Selenomethionine is generally considered to be the best absorbed and utilized form of selenium.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium/

I eat dry roasted soybeans grown in North Dakota. Soybeans are generally high in selenium and those grown in the Dakotas are likely to have even more. So I should be getting a decent dietary amount of selenium through my soybeans and other food sources and shouldn't have to worry about taking the chewables just because they contain selenium that the tablets are missing.

rbb825
on 3/28/12 6:31 pm - Suffern, NY
part of the problem after after surgery is that we dont absorb after surgery  = this is the same reason we cant' count on the calcium we eat and have to take 1500-2000mg per day rather than just eating high calcium rich foods - we don't know what we are absorbing. So eating foods high is selenium, doesn't mean you are absorbing it.

_Donna_
on 3/28/12 4:46 am
The centrum silver tablets DO have selenium in them, it's what I take.
kittehkitteh27
on 3/28/12 8:50 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
You know.. I had just looked at the label on the Centrum website too. You'd think I would have noticed that. Duh! lol

Thanks for your input. Maybe I should pay a little more attention to what I'm reading next time.

rbb825
on 3/28/12 6:36 pm, edited 3/28/12 7:00 pm - Suffern, NY

it is the regular adult centrum chewables that have no selenium - the tablets do have selenium in them.

poet_kelly
on 3/28/12 4:48 am - OH
You can swallow them but I would buy the tablets instead.  The Centrum Silver tablets AND the regular Centrum tablets both have selenium.  What does NOT have selenium is the regular Centrum chewables.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kittehkitteh27
on 3/28/12 8:52 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
Thanks, Kelly. I see that now on the Centrum website. I must have overlooked it earlier and misread the post where selenium was discussed.

Guess I wasn't quite awake enough yet to be posting. Working the night shift messes with my brain sometimes.

rbb825
on 3/28/12 7:02 pm - Suffern, NY
you can get the regular centrum silver tablets but dont swallow the tablets they are a huge wafer and I accidently swallowed it  and it got stuck and until it started to disolve - it wasnt' fun.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 71 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 71 views