need advice-first chinese dinner post surgery (8 months out)

shannon0731
on 4/18/12 1:57 am - LA
I am thinking the way to go would be go ahead and order the entree, rather than the combo meal that includes fried rice and egg roll.  I was thinking a seafood dish (I can tolerate all seafood better than any other meat), and ask for brown rice on the side s I  can tolerate small (like a table spoon or two) of brown rice. 

any advice on which seafood dishes you tolerate better? or does anyone have any other suggestions?  I am prepared to take most of it home--this is more of a social gathering for me than eating but I do want to eat something.

Thanks!
I'm Ready!

Dee.spunk
on 4/18/12 2:13 am - Sacramento, CA
I always have the egg drop soup. They know me at the restaurant I go to, so they prepare it the way I like it! (Just the broth, thank you) So I'll eat that first them my meal, which is usually just 2 oz of cashew chicken, just the chicken. My husband takes my leftovers to work the next day. I've also had the snow peas with shrimp. The shrimp is awesome!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Healthyforme
on 4/18/12 2:21 am - WI
RNY on 01/18/12
I usually do the egg foo young, I am only 3 months out so I do the vegetable one!
Good luck, soup is always a good option too!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/18/12 2:29 am
RNY on 01/10/12
When we go to our local Chinese restaurant (which is reasonably frequently) we order a bunch of different things and everybody shares.  My favorite post-op is "Happy Family," which has chicken, shrimp, scallops, etc. along with veggies and a light sauce.  I've also done well with Kung Pao chicken or shrimp, beef and brocolli, and other things that aren't deep fried or in a sweet sauce. (Although I do eat ONE piece of sesame chicken each time.  Mmmmm...)  I haven't done rice yet, and fried rice and lo-mein are off my list.

When I've gone to PF Chang's I've gotten an appetizer of lettuce wraps served as my meal.  I eat about 1/4 of it, and either my family finishes it off or I have some for leftovers.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

rbb825
on 4/18/12 9:10 pm - Suffern, NY
I dont like alot of things at a chinese restaurant but when I went early out I always ordered Shrimp and Lobster sauce.  I basically just ate the shrimp with a spoon of rice and tiny bit of the sauce - it was very mild - no spices.  The place I get, it has pieces of chopped meat, so I picked them out too.

then further out, I would get from the appetizers - either boneless spare ribs or the spareribs on the bone.  That is very high protein.  

I would try shrimp dishes - they have all different types - just dont get the sweet and sour -- it is deep fried and very sweet.

there are also lots of chicken and pork dishes.                                                       

some chinese restaurants have a dietetic section which are usually steamed with vegetables - these are usually the choices.                                                                                                                                                                                           

Paul C.
on 4/18/12 9:39 pm - Cumming, GA
 I avoid chinese like that chic in high school that had a rash and itch!

if I have no other option I will get mushu as it is mainly meat and veg and the meat is cut pretty fine.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
hedrider
on 4/19/12 12:23 am - Midlothian, TX
I too avoid Chinese food.  I'm sure some places have lean protein and steamed veggie options, but the places around here do not.  Everything is sauced and/or fried.  Not something I do, especially with all the hidden sugars in the sauce.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/19/12 12:33 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 So?  How'd it go?  What did you get? 

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

shannon0731
on 4/19/12 12:58 am - LA
Thanks everyone!! I ended up with shrimp and steamed veggies I had them really steam them good--I can't do crisp tender veggies--to fibrous!  I had brown rice on the side.  did the entree not the combo with the friend egg-roll and friend rice.  so, this humongous plate comes out and I had them bring me a to go box asap.  I took about a table spoon of brown rice, mixed it with about a cup of shrimp and veggies and ate that.  I figured I would have at least two lunches out of it. But, lol, I go home and my boyfriend ate he entire rest of it!! So much for left overs!

This group I go with we try different places once a month.  This is only my third time since surgery (last July) But next month, they are doing Mexican and the place they are going has delicious grilled fish and shrimp tacos so I figure I can unassemble them and have a nice little stir fry (I don;t do well with soft bread things--only crackers).  It is more about getting together and visiting than the food. And they are telling me how awesome I look so that keeps me on the straight and narrow too!

I'm Ready!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/19/12 12:35 am - Baltimore, MD
I don't do Chinese food much. Always forget to ask about MSG and that stuff makes me deathly ill.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views