Goal

BobbeJoJo
on 5/5/12 2:35 am
I reached my personal goal today.  Actually, I am under goal by 2 lbs.  My surgeon never set a goal and I did not ask him to.  I just set my goal at the weight I was in college when I felt really healthy.  My BMI still says that I am 4 BMI points away from normal and I am "moderately overweight".  I don't care much about the BMI charts.

My life is easier now in so many ways.  Mostly what I feel about my RNY and weight loss is a sense of a huge relief.  Now I don't have to worry about that issue any more.  Now I can worry about remaining at this weight or losing more.  And my health is so much better and my physical limitations are gone.  

But it's very hard because I can't really share this good news with anyone.  Most of my family and most of my friends are overweight or very overweight and I don't like to make a big deal out of my weight loss to them because it seems like bragging.  On the other hand, I don't want to tell my skinny friends about my success because I don't really relate to them either.  They have always been slim and they don't understand this journey.  Besides in my head I am still a fat girl.

I guess it's time to go back to support group and share with others.  I really feel alone.  This victory feels rather empty. 

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else feels this way at goal or bellow?

I didn't ever expect my weight loss to make me happy but I didn't think it would actually make me kind of sad.

Highest weight: 331 (4/13/10), Entered Bariatric Program: 320 (9/7/10), Pre-Surgery Goal: 310, Day of Surgery: 307 (2/15/11), Current Weight: 171 (5/12/12). 5'5". I am overweight now!
poet_kelly
on 5/5/12 2:46 am - OH
I don't really understand this way of thinking.  I've seen other people post similar things, so I don't think you're unusual.  I guess I just don't think that way.

I don't think it's bragging if a friend talks to me about something they've accomplished.  Even if it's something I have not accomplished myself, I don't think it's bragging and I'm happy for them and want to celebrate with them and support them.

And if a friend accomplishes something I've never tried to accomplish or needed to accomplish, even if I've never walked in their shoes, I can relate to working hard to meet goals and I want them to talk to me about their journey.

I don't really understand why you can't share your good news with anyone that hasn't had WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/5/12 3:16 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
Congratulations on reaching your goal! You worked hard and sacrificed to get there and I'm happy for you!

I haven't reached mine; I've been trying for decades and am still working on it. That doesn't detract from me being glad for you. I hope your friends will also share in your happiness and satisfaction. As Kelly said, even if someone has different problems and goals, they should be able to relate to yours--and to your success.

Jack_Fabulous
on 5/6/12 12:02 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
Congratulations on your sucess!!

Most Active
Recent Topics