Kelly - Vitamin D3 Dosage Question

Kat Kat
on 6/5/12 5:15 pm, edited 6/5/12 5:16 pm - AZ
Hi Kelly,

My Vitamin D Labs came back low (26.5). I've read enough posts here to know that dry D3 is what I'll need to take. The doctor advised me to take 5,000 IU, but I think from what I've read that might not be enough to get me back on track soon. Please advise..................

Oh, and one other question, can Vit D being too low cause fatigue?

Kat

poet_kelly
on 6/5/12 6:47 pm - OH
Yes, low D can cause fatigue, although that is more likely to be caused by low iron or  B12.

What many of us here have done was take 50,000 IU D3 daily for a month or so, then get tested again.  Most RNY folks need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a good level (at least 80), though a few people do OK on just 5000 IU a day.  So I agree with you, 5000 IU won't be enough to get you back on track soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 6/5/12 9:46 pm, edited 6/5/12 9:56 pm - AZ
Thanks Kelly. I'll stop and get some tonight. Although my labs for B-12 and Iron were okay, I'll run those numbers by you later in case you think they should be higer.

deborahgalek31
on 6/5/12 7:31 pm
poet_kelly
on 6/5/12 7:35 pm - OH
Can I ask what your D level was back in April?  I'm interested in how much D3 post ops need to maintain a good level.

I'm also wondering if you have a source for the statement that taking low doses of D3 more times throughout the day makes you more likely to absorb what you need.  It's been my understanding that we can absorb large amounts of D3 at one time, so if that is not correct, I want to know.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 6/5/12 9:52 pm - AZ
On June 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM Pacific Time, deborahgalek31 wrote:
When doctors prescribe Vitamin D, they usually give you D2, and it is usually a 50,000iu dose.  D2 is a universal script because it is from a vegan source.  It is such a high dose because it is not as absorbable as D3, which is from non vegan sources.  The key to successful vitamin absorption is amount per pill, absorbability, and qty per day.  Having bypass, you will not absorb oils (gel caps).  I don't know if D3 comes in a gel, but you should avoid them.  Non oil liquids/sublinguals absorb best.  I haven't looked for D3 in liquids/sublinguals, so I don't know if they even exist.  I take 2 multivitamins a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.  I also take a calcium citrate with vitamin D twice a day along with and extra vitamin D3 tablet twice a day.  D3 dosages for all of these are below.  If you take lower dosages more times throughout the day, you are more likely to absorb what you need. 
As far as energy, how were you Vitamin B levels?  They should have taken a B12 sample, but I also take a B vitamin complex, which helps with brain function and vitality.

Multi Vit D Level - 400iu
Calcium Citrate D Level - 500iu
Vitamin D3 - 2000iu

Total of 5800iu per day

I had labs done back in April...I'm a year out...and D levels came back normal.  But remember...everyone is different and what works for me, may not work for you.
I was just wondering, if your taking 500 mg of a calcium citrate with vitamin D twice a day , are you taking one more Calcium Citrate at another time? 1500 is what we need, so 1000 wouldn't be enough.

Kat

deborahgalek31
on 6/5/12 10:01 pm
Kat Kat
on 6/6/12 3:44 pm - AZ
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but you appear accusatory and angry. Please don't turn this thread into something personal because no one else has. The question to Kelly was simple, lets keep it there...I have no time for drama.

deborahgalek31
on 6/5/12 10:15 pm
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/12 10:59 pm - waukesha, WI
This is what I would do if my Vit D was 26.........   I would up my vit. D3 to 10,000 a day.  I like to keep my vit D between 80-100.  Not easy to do in Wisconsin.  Funtional Medicine states people in general should take between 6000 to 10000.  My vit D was 69 at 6000 of vit D per day.......I up mine to 8000 (via a functional medicine nutritionist. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 232 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 60 views
Recent Topics