Preop diet question??

SuzysJourney72
on 6/6/12 10:15 am - Wilmington, NC
Ok this is my second time trying to post this but for some reason the first one disappeared!  I just received my preop diet in the mail from my surgeon and all it says it to consume less than 60g of carbs per day for the 2 weeks prior to surgery. That's it. No meal plan suggestions. So I am not sure what that equates to... Does anyone have suggestions on what to eat?  If I cut out all breads,rice and sugars will that be enough??  Did anyone else have a diet similar to this one?

Neaucora
on 6/6/12 11:17 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 My two week pre op diet was a protein shake for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, and then a low carb dinner that included protein.  Also no caffiene, and as low as sugar as possible. 
I hope that helps. 
poet_kelly
on 6/6/12 11:20 am - OH
I would call the doc's office and ask for additional information.  Just cutting out bread and rice and sugar doesn't mean you'll get fewer than 60 carbs.  A cup of beans and some milk could give you that many carbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SuzysJourney72
on 6/6/12 11:23 am - Wilmington, NC
 Don't you agree it's strange that that's all they told me?   They gave me SO much info for post op it was coming out of my ears!  But preop?  Nada..  I will call tomorrow. 

poet_kelly
on 6/6/12 11:26 am - OH
Oh, yeah, it's very strange.  Because you need to make sure you get enough protein on the pre op diet, and most people don't automatically know what foods are low in carbs, and the average person wouldn't know what to eat without more guidelines than that.  Don't hesitate to ask for all the info you need.  They should go as far as helping you make out a daily menu plan if you need that kind of assistance.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SuzysJourney72
on 6/6/12 11:42 am - Wilmington, NC
 And for post op, they did just that. Meal options and amounts...even a full grocery list to get you through the first 6 week progression!  I will call and ask some detailed questions tomorrow and let u know what they say. 

crystalomac
on 6/6/12 12:14 pm - Cincinnati, OH
My surgery is scheduled for 6/25 and I start my pre-op diet on Sunday.  Here is what my doctor provided me;

Breakfast - 8 oz Protein Drink, 1/2 cup cream of wheat or oats

Snack - 1 container of sugar free / fat free yogurt or 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese

Lunch - 8 oz Protein Drink, vegetarian soup/ no meat

Snack - 1/2 cup of sugar free /fat free pudding

Supper - 8 oz Protein Drink, veggie salad /fat free dressing or steamed veggies - No potatoes, corn, peas or beans

Snack - sugar free jello or sugar free popsicle, 8 oz protein drink (if needed)

1/2 cup of fruit 2x's per day is ok

drink fluids all day long (at least 8 cups per day) - NO carbonated drinks

Take in at least 80 grams of protein per day

Hope this helps!!!! Good luck with your surgery!

SuzysJourney72
on 6/6/12 11:48 pm - Wilmington, NC
Thank you so much for sharing this with me!  GOOD LUCK to you too!!!  See you on the losers bench!

crystalomac
on 6/7/12 6:57 am - Cincinnati, OH
Definitely!!! We'll be sitting there together!!!!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views