Good News

CarolinaKelly
on 7/16/12 12:42 pm - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
Well, things are finally looking up.  For those of you following along, I was declined by my insurance company last week because they said my PCP did not have five years of recorded weight for me.  They had 2011 and 2012, but still needed three other years.

Thanks to all the wonderful advice on here, I went to other docs and was able to add 2010 to the other two so now I was down to two years missing.

Today, I requested that my surgeon's office photocopy everything they received and forwarded to the insurance company from my PCP.  I spend time this evening going through the records and see a recorded weight in 2005 that everyone missed. 

Now I have four and only need one more freaking year.  Getting closer!

Here is my question: my plan requires five years of weight history with a BMI of 40 or higher.  I found one other recorded history, but my BMI was 39.5.  I'm guessing they don't round up.  Anyone have any luck pushing their insurance company to accept something so close?

Lady Lithia
on 7/16/12 12:50 pm
I had no measurements from the oldest of the five years, and I ended up waiting until January. I also had to do the six month supervised. I got my 2008 measurement on the day of my last of the six supervised months (January 3rd) and they counted.

You'll get there. It'll be worth it.

While you're putting it all together, start to learn learn learn

I changed my life up from the time I joined OH.... learning to chew better, not drink with meals, replace meals with protein shakes, eliminate teh empty white starches from my diet.

The more you learn, and the more small changes you make before the surgery, the easier the transition after!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

moet321
on 7/16/12 1:10 pm
 Great advise!!
CarolinaKelly
on 7/16/12 1:01 pm - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
I hear you.  From my first appointment with the nutritionist three weeks ago, I have given up caffeine, all carbonated drinks and now all sugars and starches. 

This was the week I was going to focus on the chewing and drinking (outside of meals) my 64 oz a day.  Now that it looks like my train is back on track, I will execute the chewing and drinking plan.

This forum has been a wealth of information.  I very much appreciate the willingness of those who have gone before me to share their experiences.  Vets rock!
Lady Lithia
on 7/16/12 1:10 pm
You'll find that if you put protein first and don't drink with your meal or 30 minutes after (and it might be hard, but this is a SUPER important thing).... you'll get full faster and stay full longer.

For me, postop was a BREEZE because of so many habits I'd broken, and "dependencies" I eliminated (like a caffeine headache).

Keep us posted and stick around, this is a great place to be! 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 7/16/12 1:22 pm - OH
You may be able to get them to accept it if you write a letter explaining about the missing records.  I know in a few instances, people were able to send photos of themselves to the insurance company in which they were obviously obese to demonstrate their history when they didn't have the medical records.  That doesn't always work, but you could try it.

Also, do you have any comorbidities?  Usually you only need a BMI of 35 or above if you have sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CarolinaKelly
on 7/16/12 9:34 pm - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
Thanks, Kelly, but my insurance company is adamant that we follow the plan guideline with five years of recorded weight history. My PCP office wrote a letter about the missing files, but they don't care. I have tracked down my PCP that sold the practice and I have a an appointment to see her next week. she is going to search her records for me.

No, no comorbidities. I think the fact that I walk three miles every day has kept a lot of those issues at bay for the time being.

I do plan on calling my insurance company today to point out the one weight they missed. I am getting closer.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views