Can anyone explain...why does the alcohol buzz wear off so fast?

MBsRNY
on 8/5/12 6:27 am - Baltimore, MD
In other posts folks who have had alcohol post op often say that the effects come on and disappear quickly.  I get how they would come on quickly....liquid alcohol pours directly into your intestines and is absorbed into your blood stream.  But why does it leave the blood stream quickly too?

Anyone know?

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
mat0174
on 8/5/12 7:25 am
It leaves quickly because your body is processing the entire amount at once instead of slow, metered blood stream entry. The effects, medically, can be devastating, since alcohol will be absorbed before any food you may have consumed, and because of the increased malabsorbtion of food. BAC levels for 2 beers in a rny patient, would be similar to consuming 12 beers before surgery, obviously this would vary with many factors, but the point is, your body doesn't react the way it used to, and its a very dangerous game to play.
MBsRNY
on 8/5/12 7:29 am - Baltimore, MD
Interesting Mat....everyone always says this,, but I didn't understand how it would work.  Thanks for explaining!

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/12 7:34 am
You should see me after a few shots of rum. I am DELERIOUS. With the first shot, judgment goes out the window and I just keep drinking unless someone is there to stop me. I have passed out drunk on my floor a couple of times. Near as I can tell, it was after 4 shots of rum chased with orange juice that did it.

I figure in 5 years, two drinking-till-passing-out sessions ain't bad.

Pre-op, I could drink an entire bottle of rum and be just really nicely buzzed.
DebsGiz
on 8/5/12 9:38 am - FL
Seriously, I'd just rather not see you as the only one who usually thinks a drunk is "delirious" is the drunk themselves.  The rest of us generally find it pretty disgusting and obnoxious.

Have you ever thought about treatment for alcoholism??? 

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/12 10:07 am
Wait, are you serious or is this a joke? 
mat0174
on 8/5/12 9:13 am
Personally, I've given up drinking. It caused a bleeding ulcer in my pouch and I had to be hospitalized for a week, getting transfusions, and almost went on dialysis. It messes with your body and your food intake that badly. We're all adults here, and people need to make up their own minds about something, thats part of being a free person. But I try to let everyone I know, know what happened to me. Gastric bypass saved my life, and has given me 10 years of quality of life that I never dreamed of, but with all life saving procedures, there's eventually sacrifice, its the error with modern medicine, it saves lives, but impacts them at the same time.
Most Active