hot flashes? for women of a certain age....

MBsRNY
on 9/4/12 6:19 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm 59 and about a decade past the onset of menopause.  For the first year or two, I suffered the usual hot flashes, but for at least six or seven years now, hadn't experienced any...or any other visible symptom of either menstuation or menopause.

But in the past month or two (starting about 3 months after RNY), I started getting hot flashes again. At least, they seem like the same thing I experienced a decade ago,.  I suddenly find I'm sweaty and hot, when there has been no change in the ambient termperature. After a period of 5 to  10 minutes, I'm back to normal.

My first thought was that the flashes were really a reaction to eating...a sort of mild form of dumping.
And a few times they have been accompanied by some stomach discomfort, which also goes quicky away.  But most of the time, there is no stomach discomfort and they don't seem to follow any pattern related to  my eating.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?  Any thoughts on why they occur or what they really are?

Thanks, Melissa
  HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/12 6:24 am - OH
As you lose weight, the estogen stored with the fat gets released. For some that means extra emotional levels or depression, for some that means nothing, and for others it means hot flashes... depends on what your intiial hormonal status was.

It should fade in a couple of months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MBsRNY
on 9/4/12 6:49 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks Lora, makes sense. 
  HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 7:44 am
It's all hormonal. I've been getting hot flashes with PMS for several  years now, and I'm only 30.
Larry Wassmann
on 9/4/12 8:41 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Well not to be funny but I think the hormon thing is true. I am a man, but we have hormons as well and to tell you the truth me and another friend who had RNY, don't have hot flases, but we have like cold flases. For the first two months out, we both got spells of being very very cold. I had to wrap myself up all the time, my wife who has bad hot flases, thought it was funny. So the changes in hormons is true and if it is like me, it may just go away in a couple of months. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 9:24 am
And after losing alot of weight, you've lost your insulation you've had for so long. Alot of post ops feel colder than they did before.

The hot flashes can feel unpleasant, but between having the surgery and having anemia right now, I'm always freezing. A hot flash isn't so bad.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 116 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?