Bowel Obstruction

Pam211
on 9/10/12 10:56 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY
Has anyone had a bowel obstruction since their surgery?  I had the most awful gas and pain last night that I have ever had.  My stomach swelled so that I looked like I was 6 mos pregnant.  I almost went to the ER, but finally I started diarrhea and passing gas and it got better.  Today I was better, but since having lunch I feel like my stomach is starting to swell and roll again.  Could this be a bowel obstruction?

Jilly Bean
on 9/10/12 11:10 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 I had one at 2 weeks post op. I had 14 hours of vomiting and stabbing pain under my ribs before I went to the ER. The pain was nothing I'd ever experienced before. 

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Pam211
on 9/10/12 11:25 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY

What did they do?  Is it automatic surgery?

Jilly Bean
on 9/10/12 12:13 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 I was in the hospital for 4 days until it worked itself out. Lots of X-rays, CT scans, upper GIs. 

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/12 11:39 am
I don't know if you have a bowel obstruction, but you can have diarrhea and even gas and still have one, especially a partial. Vomiting is usually present too though.

Sounds like something is obviously going on, but I don't know what. Eating sugar alcohols will give me great pain, bloating and gas that goes on forever. I'm sensitive to everything the next day. Can you consult with your surgeon?
CarolBeth
on 9/10/12 11:44 am - SoCal, CA
I have had two bowel obstruction surgeries in the past 3 months.  Both were due to adhesions (scar tissue) from previous surgery wrapping around my intestine.  I had a partial obstruction for quite a long time with the first one, and your symptoms sound a lot like mine.  I ended up in the emergency room for both of them.

Please call your doctor and ask his/her advice.  If you do go to the emergency room, do NOT let them insert an NG tube blindly.  The first thing they seem to want to do once they decide you have an obstruction (they could see mine on a CT scan) is to insert an NG tube to see if they can fix it that way.  Luckily, they called my RNY surgeon and he gave them an emphatic NO on that idea.  It can rupture our altered stomachs unless they really know what they are doing.

My surgeon said that I seem to be prone to growing scar tissue internally.  I could never have one again, or I could have 20.  He said surgery may not necessarily be required.  They can sometime straighten you out in other ways. 

Good luck, and please see someone about this.  If you catch a partial obstruction early, it's likely easier to fix!
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

wendygail
on 9/10/12 12:57 pm - Live Oak, FL
I had one before I had WLS. Matter of fact, on my original surgery date, was when my dr discovered it. No problems since then.
 It's a great day to be alive.        
Pam211
on 9/10/12 10:23 pm - Lexington-Fayette, KY
Thanks everyone...I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary care.  After eating a ham sandwich and protein bar yesterday, I had a little bit of stomach discomfort and have been afraid to eat anything solid since. When I talked to the nurse in my primary care's office she told me if it ever happens again to go straight to the ER. She sounded upset that I hadn't gone last night.
Pam211
on 9/11/12 1:10 pm - Lexington-Fayette, KY
Good news....no bowel obstruction.  I had a CT scan and it was fine.  Probably just had a kink in it or something.  I had eaten salad and drank a coke....coke obviously is a no, no, so I will have to be sure to lay off those...but I'm in the clear! Thanks.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 88 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 88 views