14 pound weight gain and I am devestated.

gtayl006
on 9/30/12 8:54 am
I went to the hospital on Tuesday, and was admitted due to nausea and vomitting. I was in the hospital for 5 days being pumped full of fluids, and was started on TPN since I was unable to keep any food down. I am now home still on IV Nutrition (TPN), but I stood on the scale yesterday and I was up 14 lbs. I am so devestated.

I am assuming the gain is from the fluids and TPN, anyone know how long it will take to get that back off.

Susan2012
on 9/30/12 9:23 am
 Sorry to here you are having problems. Your body will re adjust give it some time. 
I'll be praying for your complete recovery. Keep in touch and let us know how your doing. 

MultiMom
on 9/30/12 9:34 am - NH
I am sure the weight is from being pumped full of IV liquids. You must have been dehydrated when you went in!! Don't worry about the pounds right now. Keep drinking and do what you need to do to stay healthy. I know that after my surgery I came home weighing more than when I went in, and hadn't had any solid foods.

Do what you were instructed on discharge and the excess fluids will leave in good time!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

sharoncarrie
on 9/30/12 9:34 am - Garland, TX
Yes, you're right the extra weight is more than likely due to the IV fluids. It will take several days for the water weight to come off but drink plenty of fluids & you will start peeing it out. I was in the hospital for menegitis back in March & was in the hospital for 15 days. I gained 25 pounds from the IV fluid. It took 3 weeks to get the water weight off. Good luck to you!
wendydettmer
on 9/30/12 9:44 am - Rochester, NY
when i was sick/dehydrated and went to the hospital, i lost 7 pounds on that weigh in - the next week i gained 6 back. i JUST this week (a month and a half later) got back down to where i was with that big loss.

i lost it because i was sick, so rationally i get that, but yeah, that number was still tough. I'm much further out then you so my weight loss has slowed some.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

M M
on 9/30/12 10:53 am
 Liquids in - liquids out - it will pass.
Bren0430
on 9/30/12 12:11 pm, edited 9/30/12 12:20 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
 14 lbs is a lot of water weight. Are you voiding enough?  Have your bowels moved? Are you getting short of breath or wheezing? 4-6 lbs is understandable but not 14. When do you see your Dr again?  You may need to call him soon if your not scheduled in the next day or two. 

Neen L.
on 10/1/12 12:35 am - Arlington, VA
Oh you poor thing. Yes, your weight gain is from those two things. My mother-in-law gets TPN 12 hours a night and it makes her swell quite a bit. I can't imagine how much you'd puff with that *and* several bags of saline.

I'd say a week or so and you'll be back to normal as long as you keep hydrated. Keep in mind though that TPN is straight glucose that's been enhanced with vitamins, so it might stall you a little bit. Best of luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Patti1md
on 10/1/12 2:25 am
I gained 6 lbs when I was admitted for dyhadration 3 weeks after surgery.  It will drop off quickly.  Don't worry.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 312 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 46 views
Recent Topics