Post Op Iron Intake for Men

ScottAD
on 10/2/12 3:47 pm - Lenoir, NC
RNY on 07/31/12
I'm at the point where I will be switching from the gummy vitamins back to what I was taking before which is Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamins and it's been very good to me pre-op. I'm all about brand loyalty y'see.

That particular vitamin brand does not include Iron in it's supplementation. I've had two post op visits and so far everyting is going great. I started at 574 I'm down 102 lbs since.

My question is do I really need to get an Iron supplement considering I am eating meat and fish etc?

I know that anemia can result from the deficiency but it looks like it is mostly in women. Men absorb and retain iron more efficiently and that is fine but I don't want to have an iron toxicity issue.

Has anyone come across this issue? I've searched but I wish the search on OH functioned a bit better (or I'm just not doing it right :) )

poet_kelly
on 10/2/12 7:32 pm - OH
On October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM Pacific Time, ScottAD wrote:
I'm at the point where I will be switching from the gummy vitamins back to what I was taking before which is Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamins and it's been very good to me pre-op. I'm all about brand loyalty y'see.

That particular vitamin brand does not include Iron in it's supplementation. I've had two post op visits and so far everyting is going great. I started at 574 I'm down 102 lbs since.

My question is do I really need to get an Iron supplement considering I am eating meat and fish etc?

I know that anemia can result from the deficiency but it looks like it is mostly in women. Men absorb and retain iron more efficiently and that is fine but I don't want to have an iron toxicity issue.

Has anyone come across this issue? I've searched but I wish the search on OH functioned a bit better (or I'm just not doing it right :) )

Yes, you do, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  They recommend 36 mg iron daily for men.

If you've been taking gummy vitamins, by the way, you probably ought to get some labs done to see what deficiencies you've developed, so those are missing a number of vitamins and minerals we need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Don 1962
on 10/2/12 10:21 pm
Scott,

I'm going to let Kelly handle the iron question.

If you did not know it there is a Men's forum on OH.  Come see!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics