Blood pressure problems after surgery?

shellykayd
on 10/26/12 11:58 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12

I've never had high blood pressure, but since surgery (10/15) it's been high.  Not enough for the doctors to be concerned, but high for me.  I don't know why it would get higher after surgery.  Anyone have this happen?

Even when I weighed more my blood pressure was always totally normal (like 120/70!).

Just not sure if I should push for some testing or if it's no big deal.  I don't have another appt with the surgeon until Nov 14, but could call my regular doctor.  (I live 3 hours from the surgeon).

Thanks!

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

Debbie C.
on 10/26/12 12:02 pm - Bradford, MA
RNY on 10/10/12

I had high blood pressure before surgery. After surgery it was so low that they were concerned. My surgery was 10/10, since then it has been pretty normal. I asked my surgeon when I was in there this week if I will need blood pressure meds again, he said I should really make an appointment with my primary care dr for any blood pressure related issues.

celia1988
on 10/26/12 12:08 pm - WA

Is your pain controlled? Very often you will have a spike if you are in pain.

Laurie :-)

shellykayd
on 10/26/12 1:22 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12

Not much in the way of pain.  Have not needed pain meds in a few days, but I do feel pretty weak and get out of breath pretty fast when walking around/standing for very long.

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

BWB
on 10/26/12 1:04 pm

Do you have a BP monitor?  My BP is lower than before surgery but always high when I go to the doctor.  We have to drive through high traffic areas and I think that is what raises it.  

dasie
on 10/26/12 9:03 pm

How high is high and how often do you take it? Did they tell you to monitor it so many times per day and keep a log.  Does it pop with activity?  If your doctor is not concerned, I would not let it concern me too much either.  Before I would push for testing, I would monitor it throughout the day and keep a log on the numbers.  Without that and with the fact he is not concerned, he might not feel the need to do further testing.  Nevertheless you know your body better than anyone, so listen to your body.  You just don't want to worry about this excessivley therely adding stress and causing your BP to react.

wendydettmer
on 10/26/12 10:53 pm - Rochester, NY

you are so fresh out of surgery i wouldn't think much of it.  major surgery can make things wonky - which is probably why they aren't worried.  my heart rate went up a bit (and now it's down like 20bpm from my preop regular).  liver enzymes are raised, etc.  just takes time for your body to heal.  you have had a lot of physical stress with the surgery that your body needs to deal with.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics