Confessions of a shameless clothes horse...

MBsRNY
on 11/25/12 5:51 am - Baltimore, MD

I admit it.  I am so thrilled with my new shape that I LOVE shopping.  And yes, I know (or at least I hope, I'm not done losing yet and spending lots of $ on size 14 clothing may be seen as a shameful waste when I'm a size 12...or 10).  But it is SO much fun to shop now and I love coming in to my office and having folks say, wow...you look great!

The one downside (other than the impact on my pocketbook ...and I hasten to add that I'm not spending more than I can afford and I am a FABULOUS bargain shopper..,consignment stores included) is that there is SO much choice now that I sometimes feel overwhelmed.  After decades of buying more or less whatever fit and didn't look too much like a tent...regardless of color or style....it's taking me some time to winnow out what works for me now and to find a personal style.  To that end, I have started to establish some "rules" for buying.  So far they are:

1) No reptile prints.  Snake print pants...even when pink... give me the willies.

2) No "embellished" items...no sequins, beads  or bangles (unless it's on evening wear, that is).

3) No puce green.  it makes me look sick.

4) No tent like shapes (WAHOO!)

5) No pencil skirts that emphasize the 20-mph- bumper I'm still sporting.  I mean showing off a little junk in the trunk is one thing; flaunting a cadillac-sized rear end on a volkswagen body is counterproductive!

Anybody else having fun and/or struggling with finding their new style for their new body?

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Lose_to_Win
on 11/25/12 6:41 am - PA
RNY on 12/20/12

Forget about "shameful waste" - why not help make yourself feel great?! Like you said, it's within your means. Also, love your rules - too funny on #5! Though I can certainly relate. Thank goodness for the tilting mirrors in store dressing rooms, they've saved me from an unfortunate decision more than once!

Skinnygirlme
on 11/25/12 6:42 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12

I'm a clothes horse too. I love all the choices that are opening up to me! I've always had good style, but now I have more choices! Love how my new body is shaping up!!!!

I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Sherrie P.
on 11/25/12 6:53 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am so bad, that I am pre-op and just bought 3 new sweaters in my current size. I was like, really? I need more clothes that I will God Willing - send to goodwill in a few months.

Love love love to shop. I will be in serious trouble when I am happy with the reflection.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

BezoarGirl
on 11/25/12 8:04 am - WA

I am starting to enjoy shopping more but I still find myself going for the color black or dark gray.  The clothes I do buy have been at walmart or on clearance at fred meyers so I can get my jeans ( in tall length) around 9.99 or less. I am also a big shopper of Goodwill shopping. 

I did have to get a new winter coat because my men's size xxl doesn't fit me any longer but I got it more than 50% off and I will still be able to wear it for a long time.  My old coat will fit my husband.

I need to get some new bra's but really don't know where to begin on that one.  I need support and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I am lucky as I can wear casual clothes to work also.  I have bought a couple of scarfs in funky colors for around my neck to punch up the look some.

What are some good stores to try?  I am looking for nice  casual clothes that fit a women not a young girl or junior size.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

MBsRNY
on 11/25/12 11:18 am - Baltimore, MD

BezoarGirl...on the bras, go to a good department store lingerie department and have them fit you. Or if that's not possible look up on the Web how to measure yourself properly to get the right size.   Once you've found the right size, you can often get good quality bras at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for $10 or so.  It'**** or miss, but I have found many D, DD and larger cup sizes there in nice supportive Bali, Warner, Lillyette and even Wacoal bras there.    Just be sure to buy the right size. I I found out recently (after losing some weight) that I'd been wearing the wrong size bra for years.  I had been in a 44 DD, and a month or two after RNY got myself measured properly.  I was by then a 38 D and only part of that was the lost weight.  Turns out I'd never been a 44....the band size was way too big.  I'd probably been a 40 DDD.     Now I'm nearly in a 38C.

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
MyLady Heidi
on 11/25/12 8:43 am

I have been in my size 6 bodies for years now and change my look every season.  I have rules too, no jeans bigger then 6, I wanna stay in the same size.  This season is oversized mens hoodies with fleece inside, fitted jeans and over the knee Carlos Santana boots, its all about walking my new dogs.  I even have a Scooby Doo hat.  I typically dress very girly girl, summer was all about fitted maxi dresses and sky high sandals.  It's fun to buy clothes when you can shop anywhere.

Haleyknits
on 11/25/12 10:07 am - NC
RNY on 11/12/12

I did my first pass through my closet to remove all of the too big stuff (some of it is summer clothes that I know that I won't be able to wear when that season rolls around again) - it made me so happy to eliminate those clothes!  I am saving them for my SIL to try, then I will donate the balance to Goodwill.  I'm only 2 weeks postop, but my jeans are hopelessly big on me!  I may try shopping at Goodwill tomorrow to see if I can find some that fit better.  I am glad that I saved some good suits from when I last lost weight - I have a professional job so I have to be sure to keep up that professional appearance and suits are spendy for sure!  I am eliminating anything that is the least bit frumpy even if it still technically fits - just not going with that image anymore!!!  Bring on the shopping!

Ladytazz
on 11/25/12 12:26 pm

I usually only buy from thrift stores or clearance or better yet free!  But my rule is nothing comes in without something going out or I would be buried in clothes.  I really got into buying jeans and I found that I only wore one or two pairs regularly.  For a long time I bought things just because they fit and then I realized I didn't even like them.  I still have a bunch of things I have never worn.

As far as colors I have to admit I still prefer black and other dark colors.  I guess I am a morbid person. I just started a new job and they must thing I am a middle aged goth person because I realize most of what I wear is dark.  

I really have been into boots lately, for some reason.  I must have a dozen pairs and I have only work about 3 or 4 of them.  I love my Uggs.  I got a pair last year when I was volunteering at a thrift store and they were only $7.  When it's cold you couldn't pry them off my feet so I splurged and got a newer pair of tall black Uggs for $75.  I've never spent that much money on a single item before except a few years ago I bought Birkenstocks for over $100.  I love comfy shoes.

I also love leggings for warmth.  I found a pair of black leggings with fleece lining that I love.  I am one that tends to find something I like and wear it to death.  Another thing I have been into is sweaters.  I've bought about a dozen of those, too, to keep me warm and because I like the way they look.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MyLady Heidi
on 11/25/12 1:00 pm

I am the same, I favor black, and I have lots of clothes but only favor a few.  I gave most of my clothes to charity in a fit of decluttering.  I gave up consignment shops after I read how easily bedbugs can be transferred.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 133 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?