Gym for overweight people only....

MultiMom
on 11/29/12 2:00 am - NH

It must Have been slow news night in the Boston market last night because the had a segment on a gym in Dallas that won't let you join unless you are 50 pounds or more overweight. They won't kick you out if you go under, but the toned and fit aren't welcome. If you did go under the weight limit you would be an inspiration to other members. The exercise equipment was designed for larger people too.

Personally, I think that it's a great idea! I don't do gyms for other reasons, but that would have been appealing to me when I was overweight if I did.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Hollie313
on 11/29/12 2:05 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

That probably would have made me more faithful to the gym when I was morbidly obese.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

MultiMom
on 11/29/12 2:09 am - NH

I just remembered to look and here is a LINK to the story.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Denise B.
on 11/29/12 2:13 am - Binghamton, NY

The gym can be a scary place, which is why I go to our local Planet Fitness where their saying is "The No Judgement Zone" .  There are people there all shapes sizes and fitness levels, none of the Little Pretty Petite things there what wear the spandex gym clothes.  They/We are real people there.

Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

SoCaPinkLady
on 11/29/12 5:27 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I have Planet Fitness as well. Love it!!!! 

Lori                               

Lisa T.
on 11/29/12 2:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

I used to belong to one of those "meat market" gyms and hated every minute of it.  I wouldn't go back today if they gave me the membership for free.  On the upside, my local YMCA is where it's at.  There are all kinds of folks there - young, old, skinny, obese - the more the merrier!

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

longhornrose
on 11/29/12 2:46 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Funny you bring this up. . .  Awhile back, hubby and I were discussing this, and I was saying how much I wished there was a gym for obese people only.  Even though the gym hubby & I belong to has plenty of big people, it's still intimidating to me, because there are many more who are in perfectly good shape.  We were daydreaming about being able to open a place like this ourselves, not only as an income-producing business, but as a public service, too.  Because we live in an area that is pretty economically disadvantaged, and where there is a high rate of diabetes & obesity, we thought it would be cool to have sliding scale rates for members, so anyone could come and benefit.  Sad fact is we don't have the funds or resources to make this happen. 

But there's nothing wrong with dreaming, right?

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/12 3:29 am

I remember hearing about this gym awhile back.  I understand the concept, but I cannot agree with it.  How would we feel if a gym said "the fat and sloppy are not welcome?"  How long have we been trying in this society to make the world understand we are not freaks and yet we are turning around and being just as guilty by telling the fit and toned they are not welcome.  It smacks too much of what went on in the south of "Coloreds not welcome" signs. I know, I was there as a young girl as my father was a pilot in the Air Force stationed in Alabama during the 1950's.    I am not trying to make this a politically correct statement because I have a problem with all this PC crap.  But as long as we are still making this a double standard and we are fine with not letting fit and toned people in then we have to be fine with us being referred to as lazy, gluttonous people.

Classes for bigger people would be a bonus.  Equipment for bigger people would be a bonus. All things to accommodate  people with all kinds of disabilities and mobility issues is what it's all about.  My own PCP goes to the same gym and recommended his trainer years ago.  You talk about a positive place! It was like going to Cheers and seeing the same old faces and friendships developed from my experience.  Jane

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/29/12 3:50 am, edited 11/29/12 3:51 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

There was a, shall we say, lively discussion on this board a while back on this. Strong opinions on both sides.

I think if it's a private club, membership can be restricted however the owners and members wish. Not if it gets government funding, of course. In some cases, groups who are discriminated against in our culture need and thrive on a level playing field where females, people of color, gays, and people of size are free from social discrimination, judgment, and pressure. Would it be awesome if there were no need for special environments? Yes. It would.

RonSudol
on 11/29/12 6:14 am - NJ

remind me not to go to that gym.. lol

i like seeing brick ****house hulks, toned women with applebottoms, and trainers mingling with everybody.. it gives me motivation.. I guess everybody is different :(

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views