Anyone taking trazdone for insomnia?

Silverbelle69
on 12/23/12 10:42 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

Wondering if trazodone causes increased appetite / weight gain.  I take 50mg trazodone with 1mg Klonopin at bedtime to fall asleep and stay asleep for about 6 hours.    Could this be playing a part in my weight loss slowing down?

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/12 11:33 am

You are at a time now where weightloss will start slowing down, it won't stop but you won't lose at the rate as you did in the beginning months.  My surgeon told me that 5 or 6 months is when you want to optimize your weightloss because after that it will slow down.  So you are about right.  Jane

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/23/12 11:43 am, edited 12/23/12 11:44 am - OH

Although it may cause limited weight gain in SOME people, Trazodone is not one of the drugs that generally causes weight gain.  According to my materials (I took a class in psychopharmacology for my PhD program), around 10% of the population (and that is people on it long term) experienced weight gain when on it and no other medications.  Keep in mind, too, that Trazodone is prescribed for people who are depressed, so the depression may result in overeating, so even that 10% may have gained because of the depression NOT because of the medication.

As Jane said, the fact that you are just over 6 months out is much more likely to be the reason that your weight loss has slowed.  Everyone's loss slows down at that point because you can eat more, because your body is overcoming the caloric malabsorption, and you weigh less so the daily caloric deficit is smaller.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Shelle112
on 12/23/12 4:14 pm - PA

I am so glad you posted this.  As I lay here awake at 3:12 am because I don't have any Trazadone here to take! AHH The bottle is at my parent's house, where I stayed for almost 3 weeks after surgery. Tonight is my second night home and last night was my final night with pain meds, so tonight I can't sleep. My legs are a mess.  I have restless leg syndrome, but haven't been diagnosed or prescribed anything, but I know Klonapin is in my future (my mom takes it!).

I'm glad to know that both of these medicines are acceptable after this surgery.....even though they can't help me tonight lol

Silverbelle69
on 12/23/12 6:57 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

ThANKS girls!   It is driving me crazy wondering where my weight will settle in long term.  Guess I will just have to wait and see!   In the mean time, my 2 lifelines are myfitnesspal.com and American Family Fitness Center!    wink

Poppygail
on 12/23/12 9:39 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

I've been taking Trazodone for about 3 months for insomnia and have not noticed any increase in appetite.  In fact, for the past 2 months I have been doing the diet trial and have had very little hunger pangs and have been fairly successful in losing weight. I have taken the Klonopin in the past without incident as well but I have not taken the two in combination. Hope this helps in some way.

Randy

fireflymkz76
on 12/23/12 11:56 pm - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12

I take it for an antidepressant and for anxiety. It doesn't cause me weigh gain.

check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
tulips52
on 12/24/12 12:23 am

I just started taking it last month for insomnia. I noticed ulcer symptoms and questioned my dr again if it is okay to take...it does say to take with food . Perhaps, you are getting the same gnawing feeling as me...mistaking it for hunger? I work so I need my sleep!!! (I get about 4-5 hrs of sleep taking it...) Keep us posted 

BezoarGirl
on 12/24/12 3:31 am - WA

I have taken Trazodone on and off for several years when my insomnia starts up.  It has not caused me to gain any weight.

For a while I needed to take it every day.  Now I take it once every couple of weeks or just in my busy time at work. I am one of those who wakes up at 1:30 in the a.m. and can't go back to sleep. 

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views