Magnesium citrate and an emema...

MBallard
on 2/2/13 5:12 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

My surgeon said that in a few days (the day before my surgery which is he 7th) I have to drink a whole bottle of magnesium citrate, take 2 dulcolax pills and do an enema. What does magnesium citrate taste like? I got the grape flavor, ive been told its disgusting. and as for the enema, is it painful??

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

JanBooth
on 2/2/13 5:56 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

The magnesium citrate is usually better if you chill it.  Some like it over ice.  I just like it chilled, and fast!  It's a bit yucky, but if you drink it pretty quickly and follow it with something that you like, not horrible.  Enemas aren't painful, just not pleasant. 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

poet_kelly
on 2/2/13 6:43 am - OH

Wow.  That sounds like overkill to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MBallard
on 2/2/13 6:47 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

I know Kelly, they also want me on liquids 8 weeks after surgey! this is the same surgeon who told me flintstone vitamins are ok and that i should chew 2 tums a day for my calcium.... i know my surgery is in 5 days but im beginning to really question my doctors intelligence....

poet_kelly
on 2/2/13 6:49 am - OH

I just can't imagine why you'd need two suppositories, the mag citrate, and an enema.  I would think the mag citrate alone, or one suppository, or the enema would be enough by themselves.  Plus I don't even understand why some docs recommend a bowel prep at all, since many don't and they aren't doing surgery on your large intestine anyway.

Please understand I'm not saying you shouldn't do it or that your doc is wrong to recommend it.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JanBooth
on 2/2/13 10:57 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I read it as Dulcolax tabs, not suppositories.  Either way, it sounds like a bowel prep for a colonoscopy rather than an RNY.  And the looong presurgery liquid diet??  THAT is overkill!
You could do one day of liquids before taking all these bowel preps and be just fine...good and clear. 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/2/13 8:57 am - OH

Wow.  Are you SURE you want this surgeon...?  Is this a Center of Excellence?  (That doesn't really mean all that much about the individual surgeon involved, but I am curious.) Red (or at least yellow) flags all over the place here.  Is the surgeon a general surgeon who has recently switched to bariatric surgery?  That seems to be increasingly common because of the amount of money to be made in WLS.  Not all surgeons are created equal, and this is the same person whom you will be trusting for follow-up and to handle any complications.  Better to switch surgeons (even if it means a brief delay in surgery) than to have a less competent surgeon (or one who knows nothing about post-RNY nutrition).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MBallard
on 2/2/13 9:27 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

he has been doing bariatric surgery for 30 years. In fact, in the city i live in, he was the first surgeon who started doing gastric bypasses. He seems very intelligent and well-versed. i am beginning to think the nurses in his office wrote up all my post op instructions. just the whole enema, dulcolax and mag citrate and  not to mention the 8 month liquid diet is making me go crazy, Lora- its not a centr of excellence but I spoke to alot of patients of his and they seem to rave about him!

jenni93
on 2/2/13 8:14 pm

Did I read that right?!!!!!  8 MONTH liquid diet?!!!!

SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

MBallard
on 2/2/13 9:48 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
8 week liquid diet, sorry

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 295 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?