small-sized nonchewable multivitamin pills???

MBsRNY
on 2/17/13 2:04 am - Baltimore, MD

I've been taking Bariatric Advantage chewables for the past 10 months or so since my surgery and am hoping to find a vitamin pill I can swallow instead.  But the horse-sized vitamins I've run into so far are a no-go.  I gag on them.  I just saw an add for a "full-strength mini vitamin" from Nature made.  Anyone tried it and/or know of another smaller sized swallowable vitamin that will work for RNYers?  Thanks

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 3:27 am - OH

I don't think you'll find a "full strength" "mini" multi.  The issue is that most multi's, good ones, anyway, have 100% of the RDA of most things in them.  That means the multi has to be a certain size, otherwise you could not fit that much stuff in it.

Bariatric Advantage sells multi capsules and I think they are pretty small.  But to get the 200% of the RDA of stuff we need daily, you have to take six a day.  Celebrate has multi capsules that are a bit bigger, but you only need three a day.  The "horse sized" ones, like Centrum, you only need two a day.  You can cut them in half, though, if that helps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnniesSS
on 2/17/13 3:41 am
RNY on 09/11/12

At the beginning of Feb, I went back to my regular horse-pill-sized vitamins due to a lack of bowel movement.  I was almost 5 months out from surgery. My dietitian had me try going back to the regular vitamins that I took before surgery.  All I do is cut them in half so they disolve quicker. I haven't had a bit of problems so far and I follow up with him on Tuesday.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Larry Wassmann
on 2/17/13 5:22 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I have been using Nature Made MINI jell caps for months. All labs come back great. They are not real tinny but go down easy and I am a gagger as well. They DO have 100 percent of daily requirement on most elements and can be gotten many places. I would give them a try. They worked as good for me as some of the expensive ones I got via the Internet.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 5:34 am - OH

Just curious, what was your vitamin A last time you had labs done?  I'm asking because these have all beta carotene, which we don't absorb well at all.  Are you taking addition vitamin A?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 5:33 am - OH

All right, I looked them up.

First there is the fact that they are in oil, and since we malabsorb fats, we don't absorb vitamins in oil well.  We would absorb some of them, but not all of them.

Second, they only have 50% of the RDA of vitamin A, but that is ALL beta carotene, which we don't absorb well at all, so you'd get almost no vitamin A from them.

For those two reasons, I would not choose these myself.

Larry Wassmann
on 2/17/13 6:28 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

Kelly if you were asking me, I have been using Nature Made MINIs and here is the data from my last blood test results for Vitamin A. Value 0.44 range .30 to 1.20. Retinyl Palmitide Less than 0.02. Vitamin A Interpertation NORMAL. I do eat a lot of foods that would normaly give me enough Vitamin A. This figures were about the same as the figures I have had on other more expensive vitains that I just about chocked on. I have tests twice a year and as long as my PCP is happy, I am happy.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Lori320
on 2/17/13 12:15 pm
Margaret Smith
on 2/17/13 6:29 pm - Lake Wales, FL

Good Morning,

My hby and me take adult chewable mult ,cal vitiams we get them at Walmart,thats what the dr said to take was Adult and getting vitiams from the dr office was why to pricey,we can deal with Walmart price a lot better.When I take pills they tend to get stuck so I do chewable over pills any day.

Margaret-FL

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 123 views