Repost on "Slow Loser?"

MultiMom
on 2/24/13 9:03 pm - NH

I posted this almost 4 months ago and have decided to post it again after reading quite a few questions on the subject of being a 'slow loser' this morning.

I was a 'relative' lightweight going into surgery at 205 (40 pounds lost pre-op). At my 3 week checkup I had lost 9 pounds. Geeezzzz!! I lost more than 3 pounds a week many weeks BEFORE I had surgery. At this appointment my surgeon told me to expect a 2-3 pound a week average weight loss. I almost cried . "I had surgery for THIS???"

Well, he was right.....and I reached my original goal of 140 in 5 months. If you go to my profile and click on my "Health Tracker" and then the tab that says "Body" there is a graph. I was pretty good about entering my weights. If you want to see actual dates and weights on those dates look at the upper right of the graph. You will see 08/11/2008 (the date I started this process) to 11/11/2009 (the last entry that I made), just above that click on the little box. That will show you every entry that I made.

In the first few weeks after surgery, you also have to lose all the pounds gained during surgery. They pump you full of fluids! I came home from the hospital weighing 11 pounds more than when I went in. I have always weighed myself every day, fat or not. I still do today and every day since surgery. I was OK with not losing every day or even every week because I knew that it was normal. Not that I liked not losing......but it didn't make me crazy. If you are going to freak out then don't weigh yourself every day!

As a final though (in this post, LOL) try to remember that this is a process, not a race. If you follow your plan then you WILL lose. I know that it is hard, especially right after surgery to remember this, but try. Many will lose much more per week on average if you start with a higher BMI or didn't have a large weight loss before surgery and others won't. Just remember, if you can, that it will happen.....HONEST!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Calla Lily
on 2/24/13 10:35 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

So true, a steady small amount of loss adds up over the year! I remember those days of even a little gain and feeling that panic feeling, even tho I knew better then to worry. I also remember on my slow weeks thinking, oh gosh, is this it?  I was so worried I would fail at this, or that i wouldnt get thin fast enough but in the end, following my plan just seemed to work! I wonder if everyone has that "Am I a slow loser" thought thru this process?

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Pink125
on 2/24/13 10:51 pm
I am "light weight" n lost 22-24 lbs in 9 wks n i would like to loose more u always wat more n small time u would think bc of the way u eat. Im just hoppin than i loose my weight even if takes me yr
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics