anyone on psyche meds post-op?

Karen K.
on 3/13/13 10:55 am - Weymouth, MA
Hi there

I had RNY in Nov 2005 and have lost about 100 lbs and maintained this loss fluctuating 10 lbs or so. I have bipolar disorder and am currently in intense treatment for this after some recent mood episodes. Question: I am taking a sustained release med now and I wonder if my malabsorption issues could render it less effective. At the same time.....this far out how much malabsorption do I even have anymore ya know?

just pondering.....KK
cajungirl
on 3/13/13 11:02 am
Hi Karen! My understanding is time release meds are less effective for us. As for how much malabsorption it's unknown and individual based on how much your body compensates with froth of new villi

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 3/13/13 11:11 am - OH

The problem with sustained release meds is not malabsorption, but the fact that they are meant to be absorbed over a 24 hour period.  Since we have no pyloric valve and part of our intestine has been bypassed, meds don't stay in our system that long.  You'll absorb part of it but not all of it.  Ask your doc to prescribed something that is not an extended release drug.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jilly Bean
on 3/13/13 11:28 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I had to stop taking Pristiq (extended release) and was switched to an immediate release (Lexapro). I could not absorb the Pristiq any longer after my RNY. The withdrawal was awful. It took about 4 weeks to get me straightened around.  Being bipolar sucks to say the least. It's a daily battle that I intend to win. 

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

tljwins
on 3/13/13 2:05 pm
That's bad news ....Pristiq is the only one I've found that doesn't give me headaches and make me feel like a zombie!
Jilly Bean
on 3/13/13 11:31 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I hear you.  I was very happy with Pristiq and had been using it for several years.  So far (since July 12) Lexapro seems to be doing a good job.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

exohexoh
on 3/13/13 2:42 pm - West Chester, PA

i find that my cymbalta (also extended release) works the same both pre and post op. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Karen K.
on 3/14/13 5:30 am - Weymouth, MA
Thx everyone. I called my pdoc and she agreed and started me on the immediate release version which I will have to take 3 times a day instead of two. I just think I should maximize whatever benefits I can get with all of this. Now if I could only sleep!
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/13 9:16 pm
RNY on 04/23/13

Hi guys,

Im pre op and also bipolar with a huge anxiety component.   

I take Lithium and Lexapro and wonder how I will fare with with possible lower hydration with the lithium and also absorption.  I am also worried that the surgery might trigger a bad patch.  I no longer have terrible times now i am medicated but I certainly have two episodes per year when I am 'mixed' with agitation, anxiety and depression all rolled into one.  I take Seroquel when I am liked this.

So, its interesting to hear how other people cope with meds post surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics