Newbie learns the hard way

Kat1313
on 4/13/13 9:17 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Oh, my.  In my defense, I'm only 6 days pot op and that's all been liquids.  I just got brave and decided to try out some greek yogurt.  Very good, nice to have something with a little bit of texture.  The only thing I forgot was.....tiny bites.  Tiny, tiny, tiny bites.  Nope, this newbie was not paying attention and took several "normal" size bites.    I never understood how someone could say "my pouch hurts."  But I do now.......yikes,  it hurts like the devil. 

Well, so much for "dinner" as it were.  Going to go lie down now.  Lesson learned.  Boy, is it ever!

"Night all!

Kathy

ShadowHR
on 4/13/13 9:45 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

Feel better soon.  I hope to avoid this pain you describe, but I doubt I will be lucky enough to do so.  I am 9 days post op, and I am constantly reminding myself, sip, sip, sip, little bites, etc.  a couple times I have taken a big swig of water before realizing and had to spit it out.  Luckily I was alone and no one had to watch my bad table manners :)

Surgery Weight 245

Kat1313
on 4/13/13 11:27 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Thanks so much for your response.  I don't have any trouble with large swallows of water...but boy did that yogurt hit like a ton of bricks!  Got to retrain the brain here.  Have you every had an "ice cream headache" from eating something very cold way too fast? That's exactly what this felt like, except the pain was in my stomach.  Well, tomorrow's another day, right?

65rosesmom
on 4/13/13 10:05 am

MANY of the lessons of life in a post-op body have to be learned the hard way to make them stick.   At almost 9 months out I can take pretty normal bites and don't tend to get those painful moments very often.   Hang in there, it gets better.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Kat1313
on 4/13/13 11:29 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Oh, thanks for your response, that makes me feel a little better.  In the meantime will have repeat the mantra "tiny, tiny, tiny" until I get it through my head!

phyl9
on 4/13/13 2:55 pm

Oh, yeah!! I am 4 days post-op (had surg 4/9/13)- and I can swallow water pretty well- but I took my bathroom mug off the sink- and replaced it with a medicine cup- I am afraid I will gulp in the middle of the night!

Now- I know why my classes told me to use child/baby spoons- if you can't put alot on the spoon- then you won't tend to put too much in your mouth- and it slows you down. Sometimes i use an iced tea spoon. 

I was surprised when I tried the Unjury protein chicken broth- it was tasty & salty (and NOT Isopure-which I truly hate)- but I am sure glad I was close to the bathroom- about an hour later-  had an Al Roker moment! That was a surprise! I wasn't eating anything bad- just new!

I know that regardless of what my head says- I have to go by what my POUCH feels like- she rules!

tarsanne
on 4/13/13 3:35 pm - MO
Lol I experimented today. I am 4 days post op. I was dying for something warm and with texture. I am *supposed* to be only liquids til Tuesday.... I decided I would try some refried beans. I took a LICK off a baby spoon- not even a teensy tiny bite full- and it felt like a lead baseball had landed in my stomach! Plus it was way to salty and disgusting (see my post about taste changes). So then I thought maybe it was too thick. So I tried some baby food bananas. I again licked the spoon. LEAD. Guess the surgeon does know best lol. I felt like I had eaten thanksgiving dinner after maybe 1 oz. I was so full and bloated! The good news is they did stay down. And in (if ya know what I mean). But I am only gonna do liquids til Tuesday now cuz I see my tummy is just not ready to handle anything with substance! :/
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 126 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?