what do you take for migranes post op?

Christie N.
on 6/11/13 1:23 pm, edited 6/11/13 1:27 pm - Riverton, UT

I am taking an antidepressant for post partum depression (been on it for 5 wks now) that is causing me to have headaches and sometimes migranes.  My dr said it's ok to take my Lortab when it gets bad (I have some 5-500 tabs I can take that are leftover from when I had my baby), but I don't like taking that too often.  He said I could take the lortab 3-4 times per week if I had to.  My bariatric dr said it's ok to rarely take ibuprofen 400 mg, but to take a prilosec otc an hour before taking the ibuprofen.   I had a migrane tonight and so for the first time since I had RNY back in june of 2008 (and after having 2 babies!), it got the best of me and I took a prilosec and then some ibuprofen (400 mg of the children's Advil).  I hope that I didn't cause anything bad to happen and probably won't take this again.  It's been almost an hour now and I don't feel any burning or anything bad, so I hope I'm ok!! Tylenol Extra Strength dosen't do crap for me either, it sucks. 

I have tried other antidepressants and they don't work and am only going to have to be on this one (zoloft 25 mg) for another 6 weeks, then I can wean off.  I had baby #4 back in feb (at 33 wks!) and had bad ppd and ppa.  Zoloft has aIways worked for me and so I'm glad for this med. I have weaned off with the other 3 kids after 3 months and have been fine so I am looking forward to getting off this med.  I am having other minor side effects like slight rining in my ears, sweating, low sex drive, and decreased appetite but the headaches are killing me!!!

Anyone else's dr say it's ok but on a rare occasion?

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

Strjen
on 6/11/13 2:06 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

My PCP just recently switched me from Immatrex to Maxalt, which is working fantastic. The Immatrex made me feel so sick to my stomach & my heart would race, I would have to lay down after taking it. It was awful. I have constant migraines. He said they were cluster migraines. He has referred me to a neurologist which can't get me in until Sept. 30th. Normally I would take Tylenol PM as that was the only thing over the counter that somewhat worked for me. At times if it got really back I would get a bowl of ice cold water with ice & a couple of rags. Soak the rags & squeeze them out & place on at the base of you skull & one over your eyes, lay in a dark quiet room & repeat the rags as needed. It helps a lot believe it or not. The cold from the ice water slows down the blood flow. I've done it many a time & it works very well. I've had migraines since I was a kid, so I can sympathize with you. I hope you can find some relief with them. Good Luck!

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

JaneJetson60
on 6/12/13 6:11 am
RNY on 05/07/12

This sounds just like me!  I had them so bad after surgery and hadn't had one in years.  The surgeon called in Maxalt sublingual and it too worked fantastic.  Same with the dark room, cold wash cloths from soaking in ice water.  I feel bad for the OP because she has children and having a migraine and trying to take care of children has to be extremely difficult. I could not function at all once a migraine set in.  Thank goodness I had family when my son was little to pick up my son after school and watch him.  Once I hit menopause, no more migraines, except the ones I had after surgery. That lasted off and on for about 2 weeks.  Surgeon put me on a dose of potassium and that did the trick, took it for a few months and have been fine every since.  Janekiss

ebtiger24
on 6/11/13 8:53 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

If I feel 1 coming on I take Tylenol headache.  It has caffeine in it like Excedrin Migraine. It does a pretty good job if you take it early. For a full blown migraine I take immitrex. 

JaneJetson60
on 6/12/13 6:28 am
RNY on 05/07/12

You are right about caffeine in Tylenol.  I was so surprised and it's in the Tylenol Ultra.  Thanks for posting this, because I did not know this as others I am sure don't either!    Jane

Lori F.
on 6/11/13 9:00 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Tylenol and a cup of coffee or tea for the caffeine. 

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Laura in Texas
on 6/11/13 10:52 pm

Glad to see you posting again, Christine!!

My PCP gave me a prescription for Migraines a few years ago. I don't remember what it was. I just use coffee and Tylenol now. My plastic surgeon told me it is OK to take NSAIDS on a rare occasion, by I don't risk it. I've heard too many horror stories about ulcers post-RNY.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Christie N.
on 6/12/13 9:47 am - Riverton, UT

well my dr prescribed a muscle relaxer for me to take, I noticed that my neck and shoulders are really tight, so it might be a tension headache.  I am going to take it tonight and see if it helps with the headaches.  I thought Immitrex is an NSAID?  My sis in law takes that and she said it really helps her, but I thought I remember her saying it has an NSAID in it.... hmmmm

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views