peripheral neuropathy

desired823
on 6/21/13 10:55 am

my body is not processing vitamin b supplements like it needs to. i am 6 months out and have lost 100 pounds. recently i was diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet. there is severe stinging, burning, shooting pain in my feet all the time. sometimes my feet swell with this. i have tried the following therapies; antidepressants, anticonvulsants--neurontin, hot pads, ice packs, lidocaine patches, warm soaks with epsom salts, massaging my feet with green alcohol, capsacian, elevation. i have even heard that smoking marijuana can alleviate neuropathic pain. i can not wear shoes for more than 30 minutes without crying. it feels like fire when i cover my feet in the bed at night. i am just wondering if anyone else has had this condition after surgery, and what, if anything helped you. thank you.

poet_kelly
on 6/21/13 11:04 am - OH

No one's body processes B12 like it used to after RNY.  We don't have enough stomach acid or intrinsic factor in our pouch to absorb it.  That's why we need to take a supplement, and it needs to be a sublingual, nasal spray, or shots.  What kind of supplement are you using and how much are you taking?

Many years ago, I was a home health aide and I had a client with neuropathy in his feet.  I would sometimes spend an entire two hour home visit just rubbing his feet.  Massage helped him, a lot, although it seemed to only help while his feet were being massaged.

If you can afford it, you might want to try accupuncture and/or Reiki.  I've actually had some relief for my really bad back pain from Reiki.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

desired823
on 6/22/13 4:24 am

i take 1000 mcg of b12 daily, in a sublingual tablet. i also take my multivitamin and b-complex,both are chewable.

jamienichols22
on 6/21/13 11:36 am - MI

Try putting dozen's of marbles in a plastic wash tub (like for camping) and put warm water in it and rub your feet back and forth across the marbles also try picking them up with your toes to get the fluid and things moving. This is what they told my dad who has had diabetes for 23 years and has this problem

Eva1230
on 6/21/13 11:39 am
I had an issue fairly early out. I was only taking b12 per surgeons advice.

Pcp added b1 and b complex.

And both surgeon and pcp told me to have pork. Pork is high in thiamine
Day_dream_believer
on 6/21/13 11:35 pm

I have never had experience with this, but I was talking with a friend on Thursday about this.  She has never had WLS, but she has Neuropathy.  According to her she started taking extra b-12 shots and it has helped tremendously with the pain.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 324 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 345 views