Fat Free vs Low Fat vs Full Fat at the Purée and Soft Food Stages

Nickeliz
on 6/29/13 10:59 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13
I've seen several posts related to this topic when talking about regular food, but I was curious about everyone's thoughts on Fat Free vs Low Fat vs Full Fat ( for mayo, soups, refried beans, ricotta, etc) when looking at purée and soft foods. Because the amounts are small, does it really matter or is this just a slippery slope? I know we need fats from real foods (not from frying, etc.) , but not sure when to do fat free, low, or regular. There are many low fat foods that tastewise seem fine to me so that's how I was planning on deciding. So many fat free things have sugar and things like that added and still don't taste good, that I tend to shy away from them anyway. For something like refried beans, I plan to doctored them up anyway to thin them out so fat free might work there. Are there any fat guidelines that you use or does it really depend on the product?

poet_kelly
on 6/29/13 11:02 am - OH

I would stick with low fat in the beginning just because it seems like early out, full fat tends to upset a lot of people's pouches.  I eat full fat cheese now, sometimes, and even drink whole milk often (I buy raw milk from a local farm and sometimes I pour off some of the cream but it's sure not low fat).  But early out, people tend to be more sensitive to fat.  Not everyone, but many people.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Katie K.
on 6/29/13 8:42 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll start off with low/no fat foods.

Katie K.
on 6/29/13 11:03 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I'm four days out. My purée stage starts on Tuesday. I bought a can of vegetarian refried beans because the regular ones had lard and that just doesn't seem appealing. I plan on using full fat items.

patlivs
on 6/29/13 8:15 pm

Wow lucky you! I"ve been on a 2 week liquid and i'm so tired of sweet tasting stuff. 3 more days and i can have soft foods Yay!!  I have never liked the fat free stuff unless its just naturally fat free like lentils or legumes. Happy for you!! My purée diet on Wednesday:) Happy dance.

Katie K.
on 6/30/13 5:10 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Not so lucky. I had a two week preop liquid diet.

The Salty Hag
on 6/30/13 12:09 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I am 6 weeks out as of tomorrow. I'm sticking with low-fat versions of things, except retried beans. I bought some Whole Foods brand ( 365 ) fat-free retried beans. They are SO yummy! I top them with a little low-fat sharp cheddar and add a little fat-free plain Greek yogurt, they taste pretty awesome. ( I'm past puréed foods though )

I'm too chicken to try full-fat versions of anything right now.  I do miss cream in my coffee, I got so jealous of hubs this morning! 

chrispy_man
on 6/30/13 1:26 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
My NUT advised to do No-Fat whenever possible otherwise Low Fat. This seems to make sense due to the pouch and that when I was in the early stages I wanted to maximize weight loss. I think its important throughout, but probably more so if you are still at a point where you want to lose (I assume you are). In my favorite example I love cream in my coffee and eventually added that back into my diet. Before long I think half my nutrition was coming from four cups of DD coffee per day, so now I try to watch this very carefully. Bottom line though we dont need to "Count" calories, cream as an example is something that is not a great substitute or add on for me right now. I still want to lose and additional 65 lbs.

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Nickeliz
on 6/30/13 4:05 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I just got back from the grocery store with several low fat options!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 281 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 208 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 278 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 143 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 208 views