Support groups in Raleigh/Cary NC area?

Missy A.
on 8/1/13 12:40 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I was wondering if anyone goes to any support groups in the Raleigh/Cary NC area and if so which ones? I'm pretty shy about meeting new people, but feel like at a year out I should at least attend a support group once a month. I need all the encouragement I can get to stay on track right now. But as I said, meeting new people for me is difficult, so although I haven't "met" anyone on here, I feel comfortable with talking to you and was wondering if anyone in the area wanted o go to a support group with me?

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

nfarris79
on 8/1/13 7:59 pm - Germantown, MD

No input on local groups - you might want to x-post to the NC forum too - but a few of us have been maintaining a phone support group for the past 2 years. PM me, Kelly (poet_kelly) or Lora (****rogirl) if interested!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

angeleigh
on 8/1/13 10:04 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

There is one at wake med in Cary. It is on the second Wednesday of every month. There is also one at Rex on that same night.

Rex Info:

Our Journey: Rex Surgical Weight Loss Support Group (for Pre-Op or Post-Op patients)

Join us every second Wednesday of the month at Rex Hospital to meet other patients, learn from expert speakers and ask questions about your weight loss journey. Sessions are free and open to all bariatric surgery patients and are intended to supplement programs offered by your physician's office. To register, fill out the form at www.rexhealth.com/bariatric-support or call: (919) 784-SLIM (7546).

Who:  Open to patients who have undergone bariatric surgery at Rex Hospital (main campus)
When:  2nd Wednesday of every month
Time:  10 a.m. - 11 a.m.  (Classroom 100B)
             6 p.m. - 7 p.m.  (Women's and Children's Conference Room)
Location:  Rex Women's Center, 4420 Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh, NC
Note: There will be no Our Journey Support Group meetings in November and Decemeber. Meetings will resume in 2013.

Wake Med Info:

WakeMed Cary Hospital hosts a support group for bariatric patients on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in the hospital's Conference Center.

All potential and post-operative patients and their families are invited to attend these meetings, which are facilitated by healthcare professionals and include speakers on a variety of topics.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Missy A.
on 8/2/13 4:23 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Thanks Shannon for the info. Have you attended any support meetings at Rex? I wonder if the morning ones have a lot of people?

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

angeleigh
on 8/2/13 4:34 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I have only been to the one at Wake Med. I go every month. I do a lot of talking with others who have questions. I know last month we had something like 30 people show up.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Nikki_402
on 8/2/13 4:34 am

Missy -

Hi, my name is Nikki and I'm part of the Rex support group, although I've never been to a meeting, I'm on their Facebook page. It's fantastic!!! The entire team at Rex Bariatrics is wonderful! The group is always willing to help if you need it. There are food demonstrations, mentoring sessions, all kinds of good things. There's also a group through meet-up that is great too! If you look on the NC page, a lot of the members also at least read this site as well. Those groups are lead by Barbara C.. She's great. If you want someone to go with, just message me and I'll go with you!

Nikki W.

avidreader
on 8/3/13 10:57 am - Cary, NC

Dr. Enoch's group offers a support meeting every 4th Thursday night at Rex.  I go on occasion but find most that attend are new post ops and I don't get as much out of the meeting as I want.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Barbara C.
on 8/8/13 3:19 pm, edited 8/8/13 10:16 pm - Raleigh, NC
Hi Missy,

I host support group meetings in North Raleigh on the first Saturday of each month and each Thursday evening. You can get information about upcoming meetings at www.meetup.com/nc-Wls. You are welcome to attend any meeting that I host. in addition to the meetings that i host and the ones at Rex and WakeMed, Duke Raleigh also hosts monthly meetings and welcome all. i am not sure of the attendance policy for the support group at Duke Durham. Most hospital support groups are more focused on pre-op and new post-op patients, but welcome those who are at or near maintenance.

I look forward to meeting you.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views