Has anyone had their RNY revised?? Please read!

jillS
on 9/6/13 4:08 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hello,

I had RNY gastric bypass 7 years ago.  I was very successful and lost almost all of my excess weight.  After about the 5 yr mark, I started to put a few pounds, which turned in a few more, and now I find myself back at 250 (My heaviest was 326).  I feel awful and depressed and disappointed in myself. 

After my new bariatric surgeon (not my original surgeon) sent me for a barium test, he told me that BOTH my pouch and stoma are very stretched.  He recommends a revision to tighten the pouch and stoma back and give me that restrictive feeling again.  He also said he has done 100s of  times and has seen patients be very successful.  

I JUST found out I am approved and now I an very nervous about having another surgery...most of all, I am embarrassed and afraid to fail (again) 

Has anyone had their RNY revised and if so, HOW are you doing??  PLEASE respond and let me know!  I am very motivated to get this weight off and get my life back!

Thanks! 

Jill

Ladytazz
on 9/6/13 7:01 am

I had a revision, although not from a RNY, but I just wanted to give you some support.  I had failed my first WLS.  I openly admit that.  I had a tool that I didn't use, instead I thought the tool was supposed to do it all and I could do whatever I wanted.  It didn't work that way.  Even while I was regaining most of the weight back I never thought about having a revision.  I knew that I had failed my surgery and I knew that there was no reason I wouldn't fail a revision as well.  I just figured I was a hopeless compulsive overeater and could never get over my addiction to sweets and refined carbs.  My revision was done for other issues I was having that affected my quality of life negatively.  My surgeon also gave me a RNY pouch (from a large sleeve) and I decided that since I was getting a second chance I would use it to my advantage and one of the ways was to take a long look at my food issues and to use the tool I was given to help me with them.  Having a small pouch took care of the large quantities I was eating but I know that if I start over eating again I will stretch my pouch and stoma and my tool will become useless again so, in addition to changing what I ate, no sugar, gluten and refined carbs, I also watch my portion size, which is pretty easy because I do get satisfied a lot faster with smaller amounts of food and if I pu**** I do suffer.  I used to eat myself silly before, eating and eating to the point of sickness, like a Thanksgiving meal year round, but I found that after my surgery the discomfort was a lot worse then it used to be before my surgery.  I remember after a day of binging and overeating feeling like I never wanted to eat again, which of course disappeared as soon as the discomfort did, but now when I over eat it is so painful, so quickly that just taking one more bite becomes almost physically impossible.  I also know that I could probably over come that by gradually increasing the amount of food I eat over time so I stay pretty diligent about my portions and try to take less food then I think I will need to feel satisfied and also to be willing to leave food on my plate, something I had never been able to do.

Now if I go to a buffet I can actually take a bite or two of something and not fini**** all, or if I am eating at someone else's house or a potluck.  I can try things without having to eat it all.  I have also found that I can buy something I like and have a little and then forget I have it, sometimes for weeks until I dig it out of my refrigerator and have to toss it.  I try to buy the smallest portions I can of things and also when I buy produce just get one or two things so I don't wind up throwing out a lot of things.  I can crave something, like a banana or orange, have a little and lose the craving without having to eat too much.  That is how I use my tool.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jillS
on 9/9/13 12:09 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hi Ladytazz,

Thank you so much for your response!  It is SO helpful for me to hear of your revision and success the second time around!  I feel very blessed to have been given a second chance!

I know that I will have to change my head and use the tool the way it was intended to be used!

I'll keep you posted!  My date is coming up soon!  Sept. 24th!

~Jill

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/13 10:27 pm

Ladytazz, you said that you had your revision for other reasons was that reason the smell from the stool and gas? I'm sitting here crying my eyes out because of the smell,  The revision or lengthening of my intestines was for that reason, then i had to have an other revision to an rny because the stupid dr severed my vagus nerve and i ended up with gatroparesis but now since June when i had surgery for bile reflux they moved the y connection down 65 cm and the dreaded smell came back upon being told and promised that no such thing should happen. i am so at a loss right now. 

bluesfan
on 9/6/13 8:24 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

Jill sorry to hear about the regain you had, and the bad feelings it caused.  I am happy to read that you were approved to have another surgery, what a gift that is.  I know it's been said here many times, they operated on our stomachs not our brains.  I got to the size I was because I am a compulsive overeater.  If you are afraid of failure maybe some therapy maybe in order to deal with the emotional aspect.  What is free, and works for me is attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings.  The 12 step program is a wonderful way to live for anyone.  I am conscious of my "trigger foods" and the reasons I compulsively overate.  Knowledge is great but I need the support of like- minded individuals to refrain.  The surgery coupled with OA, keeps me sane and in a healthy mind frame and is working great for me.  I wish you well with your up coming surgery and hope you find something that works for you.  God Bless !!!

LadyLilMax
on 9/6/13 8:57 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

God bless and what a gift to have been approved and to receive yet another chance!  Congrats on keeping most of it off and you go Girl.  YOU can do it.  

Let us know how it is going!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

jillS
on 9/9/13 12:07 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Thank you SO much for your reply!  It means alot to know that others have been here and are supportive and successful!

I'll keep you posted! Sept. 24th is my date!

~Jill

agraydolfin1
on 9/6/13 12:54 pm - TX

Here I am!!!!!(hand jummping in the air) I started my journey at 353. I had my  open RNY in December of 2000. I lost 100 lbs. I soon got married and gained 5 lbs and tell myself i would lose it next week. I got back to 340. My daughter started looking for help and she went to Dr. Kim and started her journey. Got me thinking if any thing could be done. I called him and they refussed me cuz I had open previous. Searching and searching I found my old nut. I went to him and in a week i was approved for lap revision of RNY. Today is my serguversery I went for docter visit and weighted in at 252. So the answer to you question of failure is(drum roooollll) Yes it will and does work, maybe not as fast as the first timmers, I only lost like 10 lbs in the last three months. I dont dump so i can eat a snickers bit size and not get sick. I know i shouldnt know that. I do know that in my head if i eat more than one I will end up fatt again. So going into this you need to write down your goals and why you had the sergury the first time. What caused you togain, and set boundrys. Know if you get off track and dont get back on you will end up fat again. And for Kellys little hater This is my personal journey, I give no advice!!!!

jillS
on 9/9/13 12:05 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Thank you SO much for your reply!  It's good to hear that others have been where I am and are successful again!  I feel that I have learned a LOT on this journey and will use all of this knowledge going into this again.  I have been approved and have a date set on Sept 24th (yikes!)  I just want it to be done so I can move forward on this journey again!

I just want to be moving in the RIGHT direction! 

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS AND YOUR SURGIVERSARY!

~Jill

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/9/13 3:57 am

Jill, I'm not saying this to be mean but more to make an impression - you are not getting a second chance, you are getting a third.

I appreciate your honesty and if you really want this,  I believe you can make it work. 

Most Active
Recent Topics