Annual Blood Work Costs

Icomputeit
on 9/11/13 10:17 am

I just visited my surgeon for my annual and he ordered my blood  work.  I was astonished to receive a bill for $1,600 for the blood work prior to the insurance processing.  Just curious, what have others experienced?

poet_kelly
on 9/11/13 10:31 am - OH

Sounds about right to me, for a full set of labs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jeterway
on 9/11/13 10:32 am
I'm not surprised at that number. I have been closely monitoring my eons from the insurance company lately and that sounds about right. What is actually paid is a fraction of that amount. I think for a full work up, it was somewhere around 250.

jeterway
on 9/11/13 10:33 am
Ugh - I meant 'eob' not eon or whatever autocorrect put in.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/11/13 11:00 am - OH

Some of the tests they do are quite pricey.  My lab charges $400 just for the Vit D test.  Depending on whether they also do a full thyroid panel and a couple of other things not related to my RNY, the billed amount for mine is $1800-$2000.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Icomputeit
on 9/11/13 11:38 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'll wait to see what my insurance pays.  Perhaps, I have not paid much attention in the past.   I can't imagine how people with no insurance can afford blood work.  It reminds me of when stores mark up the price of an item and then sell it for 50% which turns out to be the normal retail price.

ebtiger24
on 9/11/13 8:52 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

My insurance will not cover my blood work, but the hospital will accept what the insurance company would pay, if I pay up front. 

Ruby R.
on 9/11/13 9:28 pm

Funny story.  I had mine done a few years ago and it cost something like that amount.  Medicare paid the bill, but I got a letter from them telling me to 'not do it again.'  They said they would pay, because I did not know that I should not order so much work.  Since then my PCP has been ordering more limited blood work.  I guess, if he saw anything out of line or if I was not feeling well, he would order more.  So far I have done fine without a full lab.  I get my protein in, take my vitamins.  So far so good.  I am working on taking off 20 lbs regain.   RNY 3/11/2005    262 hi, 128 lo, 147 today    5'1"   68 years old  

Ruby  

RNY 3/2005    

quiltpainter
on 9/11/13 11:16 pm - CT

My final cost was close to $500 for blood work, that was the insurance price. Due to a high deductible I got to pay it all. I consider it money well spent. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views