Just can't let go...

jensieck76
on 10/21/13 3:14 am - TX
Anyone else have this issue? I am going on six months and down 80 pds...I have bought a few wardrobe staples in smaller sizes but without even thinking I automatically still try to pick up my old size lol? I didn't even realize it, I got home with a new shirt put it on and it was huge! I didn't even think about it..just grabbed a 3x and went on my way. Took it back and got an xl. Somedays you really see how being overweight effects your brain. So ingrained to buy thatt size. Smh...

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

SandieMc49
on 10/21/13 3:28 am

OMG, you make me want to cry - because that was me!  I actually ran out of the stores many times quite upset because I was so confused as to what size I wore. 

I keep saying that I am going to write a book called "Life Was So Much Easier When I Was Fat"! Because for a while it actually was. 

There is not enough said or discussed about the emotional adjustment to losing weight.  I mean - what was the big deal - I, too was a 3X, I didn't have to try anything on - I just went in and bought it.  Even though I'm 5 years out, sometimes I'm a medium and sometimes I'm a large; sometimes I'm a 10 and sometimes I'm a 12.  But the funniest and bestest thing of all is - I can shop in the junior sizes!  I feel so wicked when I do - because, well, I'm more of a "senior" than a junior - but what the heck, right?

Hang in there - I really really do promise you'll adjust to the new you. 

Sandie

jensieck76
on 10/21/13 3:35 am - TX
Thanks Sandie! It just really screws with your mind sometimes. Like I sometimes can't wrap my head around being smaller. I know I am, I see I am but I STILL see the BIGGER me in that mirror. And I know that I am ready to kick that fat girl in the mirror to the curb. Sometimes even when you get your biggest wish come true, its strangely hard to let go of the old you.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

nfarris79
on 10/21/13 6:28 am - Germantown, MD

Yeah, that "adjusting to the new size" isn't just a physical act but a mental one too. When we change our physical self, our mental self takes a while to catch up, but there are some things you can do to help yourself along: take pictures, regularly try on clothes in various stores and in various sizes. Heck, I used to play a game with my husband called "bigger or smaller" - - we'd people watch and I'd point out women who I thought I was either bigger or smaller than and he'd tell me if I was accurate or not. Usually I wasn't. But 2 years postop, I'm getting a lot better at self-appraisal. Still have a bit of body distortion, but at least mostly realistic.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

karin602
on 10/21/13 6:37 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I was 3X as well but had lost some prior to surgery so they were a bit big.  Still going into a store and actually trying on an XL was so scary. Didn't think it would fit and be embarrassing in front of the other customers and saleswomen.  Thought of them thinking - really she's so big she shouldn't be trying that on.  Nevertheless I did try it on and it fit!  So much for my self-talk.  Still in that really fat girl mode.  But have several XL's now.

Karin

jensieck76
on 10/21/13 8:08 am - TX
It was a good day when I paid off my Avenue credit card and cut it up. I am almost out of plus sizes so it was my homage to kissing my fat butt goodbye!! Its such a wonderful, yet mind blowing experience.

averybyrd
on 10/21/13 10:33 am

I feel like that now. When I go into the "regular" sized sections, I feel like everyone is looking at me thinking I'm in the wrong place. It's worse when I buy the next size or two down, because I'm sure they're thankful they can't see me squeeze into those. 

mani_heart
on 10/21/13 10:56 am
RNY on 03/18/13
On October 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, averybyrd wrote:

I feel like that now. When I go into the "regular" sized sections, I feel like everyone is looking at me thinking I'm in the wrong place. It's worse when I buy the next size or two down, because I'm sure they're thankful they can't see me squeeze into those. 

OMG - that's how I felt when I went in to Reitman's.  Skipped by the plus section and went to the "regular" section.  I as well, felt like people were looking at me.  Have to still wrap my head around that. 

mani_heart
on 10/21/13 10:54 am
RNY on 03/18/13

I can totally relate!!  I went in to Pennington's about a month ago because that's where I was used to shopping and went straight to my usual 2X/3X sizes and starting sifting through.  Found one I liked and had to give my head a shake!  

Needless to say, I can no longer shop there because the smallest doesn't fit.  BITTER-SWEET!!  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 89 views