Cortisone shots

Dee.spunk
on 11/13/13 2:24 pm - Sacramento, CA
Tomorrow I need to go to the doctor and get a cortisone shot in my knee. Has anyone else had this? I'm worried because we were told no steroids because it can affect your weight. But my knee is killing me, and the other day I fell on the stairs because my knee locked.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Katie K.
on 11/13/13 6:13 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I would get it in a heartbeat if it would bring relief. I almost got them in my wrist for what I thought was tendinitis. Thankfully, my orthopedist is on top of his game. Turns out I have Kienbock's disease. One of the bones in my wrist is dying, and thanks to gastric bypass we caught it in an early stage. 

molly3613
on 11/13/13 6:31 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I have had them three times and synvisc (sp) once with no,problems.  My surgeon cleared them.  I hope they work for you.  Not so,much for me.  Maybe for a couple off weeks.  You have to wait 3 to 4 months between shots as they can cause tissue damage if taken too often or so I was told.  Tramadol had helped me more than a anything. Best of luck.  I sure hope they work for You.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/13 8:35 pm

The only way you gain weight if you eat too much.  Steroid can affect your BS and make you hungry. Knowing that you can control what and how much you Eat.  It is ok to be hungry. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PetHairMagnet
on 11/14/13 5:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 14, 2013 at 4:35 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

The only way you gain weight if you eat too much.  Steroid can affect your BS and make you hungry. Knowing that you can control what and how much you Eat.  It is ok to be hungry. 

Pretty much what the orthopedist told my husband, too!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Dukemom
on 11/13/13 8:38 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

A cortisone shot into a joint will not affect your weight it's a localized treatment.  Oral prednisone, especially when taken for a prolonged period of time, will cause weight gain.  (I'm living proof; I've been taking prednisone for two years due to lung issues related to an autoimmune disease).  Long term prednisone use also causes bruising and brittle bones, among other things.

I'm still pre-op, but have had several cortisone shots in my knee.  It makes your knee almost as good as new (for a while anyway!).  enlightened

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

SandieMc49
on 11/13/13 8:54 pm

I have had many since my RNY - 4 in my thumb alone this year - no side effects - no weight gain at all.  In the past, I've had them in my shoulder; again with no side effects or weight gain.

Dee.spunk
on 11/13/13 11:30 pm - Sacramento, CA
Thank you all! For some reason I never got an email letting me know I had responses. But thanks! You've all been super helpful!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

ebtiger24
on 11/13/13 11:48 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I've had 4 in my foot. The shot won't impact your weight. Now the steroids I took orally for a few days might if you're not careful. They made me so hungry I thought I might chew on a table leg. 

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 11/13/13 11:59 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I've had many cortisone shots in my knees and they do help.  Keep in mind it takes a few days for it to kick in but they do help!!

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views