iron

kateyeburger
on 11/15/13 4:46 am - mineral ridge, OH

my doctor is doubling my iron because of deficiency. what would you suggest i do to prevent constipation.

hukunamatata

' HE  WHO  HESITATES  IS  LUNCH'
poet_kelly
on 11/15/13 4:50 am - OH

Use carbonyl iron.  It rarely causes constipation ( I take 300 mg of it a day and am not constipated), plus it's absorbed better than the ferrous salts anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 11/15/13 5:17 am, edited 11/15/13 5:17 am

What type of iron are you taking.  Carbonyl and heme iron doesn't cause me constipation.  It also seems to help most of us better.

Out of curiosity do you know what your iron levels are, including ferritin, iron sat, TBIC?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

kateyeburger
on 11/15/13 5:25 am - mineral ridge, OH

i'm taking ferrous gluconate. all i know is that my iron stores are depleted an my body doesn't store iron so my ferritin is very low.

hukunamatata

' HE  WHO  HESITATES  IS  LUNCH'
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/15/13 9:20 am
How low is low ? It your ferittin are less than 10... you may need infusion with iron... IMO.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 24 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 292 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views