How Common is Bounce Back?

DoryAnne2
on 12/18/13 1:23 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I'm almost 9 months post-op and 16 pounds from goal.  I set my goal a little lower than when I started since I've heard that many WLS people go down and then "bounce back" up 20-30 pounds before they maintain their weight loss.  I'm wondering how common this is, or if many of you have avoided gaining anything back and have remained at your original goal weight for years.

Thanks.  Hard to believe that I'm at a pretty normal weight.  It all happens so quickly, but I can see old patterns and behaviors trying to emerge and it's still a daily struggle to make healthy choices.  Since I've never maintained in my life (always going up or down), it will be a new experience and I'm just praying that with my increased physical activity and smaller stomach I'll be able to maintain a healthy weight. 

Thanks for all the feedback.  This is a great site.

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

poet_kelly
on 12/18/13 1:48 am - OH

I think a little bounce back is pretty common but I don't know about 30 lbs.  I'm think more like 10 or 15 pounds is common.  But not everyone has that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DoryAnne2
on 12/18/13 3:55 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Thanks.  I wanted to go a little lower than normal so I'd still be normal if I gained some back, but 10-15 sounds a lot more reasonable than 20-30.  I'm really hoping to gain back anything at all, and thanks for being a long-term member and always encouraging others. 

poet_kelly
on 12/18/13 4:04 am - OH

I think we might be better off setting a range as a goal.  For instance, my real goal was just to be within a normal BMI.  I guess I'd rather be at the lower end of that range, but really, anywhere in that range would be OK with me

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DoryAnne2
on 12/18/13 4:11 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Very wise...thanks.  A range makes perfect sense.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/18/13 1:49 am - OH

I have not heard of the expected bounce back being 20-30 pounds... I have always heard around 10 pounds.  Still, yes, it happens quite a bit, but it CAN be avoided if you monitor your weight closely and adjust your calories downward to compensate for the increased absorption of calories.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DoryAnne2
on 12/18/13 3:57 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Thanks, Lora.  It's good to know it doesn't HAVE to happen, and of course I'll do everything in my power to avoid that.  But I HAVE been noticing old behaviors trying to sneak back, and since we didn't have surgery on our minds, I'm always afraid I won't be able to change enough.  That's why it's so encouraging to hear from people who are maintaining their weight loss over a long period of time.  Have a wonderful holiday. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/18/13 4:12 am, edited 12/18/13 4:12 am - OH

I firmly believe that those old habits that try to creep back in, and I intended portion size "creep" are FAR more responsible for "bounce back" than just some unexplained physical function.  I did have a 5-pound "bounce", but it was also after an artificial low weight after I had nothing to eat or drink for 5 days because of pancreatitis.  

One thing that has worked very well for me (and several others I know) has been establishing a very FIRM weight creep limit.  For me it is 5 pounds.  If my weight creeps up 4-5 pounds, I eliminate all non-protein and non-veggie carbs, increase my water a bit, and stay very conscious of what I eat until those pounds come off.  That way I can be SURE that 5 pounds will NOT turn into 10, or 15, or...

Lora

DoryAnne2
on 12/18/13 4:17 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Thanks.  I love to hear what people do to help them maintain their weight loss.  I also think having a firm "weight creep limit."  How often do you weigh yourself, since I know our weight fluctuates? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/18/13 4:28 am, edited 12/18/13 4:28 am - OH

I normally only weigh myself on Saturday mornings each week, but if my weight has suddenly jumped more than a pound or two (which can be from any number of things other than fat), I wait 2 or 3 days and weigh again to see if I get the same weight or not.  Until I get a second weigh-in with the same weight, I don't stress over it... I just assume it is jus****er weight, etc.

I know people who weight every day, and that works for them, but for me that would be placing too much focus on my weight (which is now, at 6 years out, just a small part of my life) and seeing the daily fluctuations wouldn't, IMO, give me any more info than I get from a weekly weigh-in.

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views