Band removal

Melanie C.
on 12/22/13 4:29 am

I had my band removed Thursday and I am in so much pain. I dont remember this much pain when I had it placed. They also did a liver biopsy, but I have such a burning sensation in that one area where the incision is. the other ones are great, no pain. I can barely walk. They gave me Percocet but it really just helps me fall asleep for a few hours. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

poet_kelly
on 12/22/13 5:25 am - OH

If the pain is so severe that Percocet isn't helping, I would call your surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 12/22/13 6:37 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
I agree - call your doc. I'm 5 days out from band removal and RNY and do not have that kind of pain - just the normal shoulder pain and port-removal pain. Personally, I don't think Percocet does much of anything. I'm on Dilaudid and couldn't imagine anything not as strong to get through this.
Good luck - and keep us posted.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/13 7:29 am

Hi QoftheU,

I was wondering about the port being removed. I thought it would at the very least ache after having been dug out of th muscle. You are the first person I have read posting about this. Of course, I have rouble keeping track of my own posts, so that is not a big surprise. I will be having the same surgery in February. Tell me more. How long was your surgery?

QoftheU
on 12/22/13 11:16 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hi!
Surgery was about 3 hours because of band issues - even tho I've had no fills/unfills in the damn thing in about two years (worthless worthless worthless)... but evidently it had eroded into my stomach some - although I NEVER had any symptoms, he did tell me if I'd left it in I would have started having issues.
No, my port is quite sore - it's a big ole' thing they have to dig out. But it's just sore that's all. Laughing, coughing, HICCUPS (suck!), cause pain but if I press a pillow on my stomach while I those things, it helps a lot. My left shoulder is NOT fun - that's where the gas goes if it doesn't come out the other end! But it only comes and goes so it's survivable. I ended up with a drain where the band itself was due to the inflammation etc. I HOPEFULLY get that removed tomorrow but not sure till my 10:30 appointment. Am excited to have it out, but nervous to have it done - hope it doesn't hurt!
Other than that, it really was MUCH less of a big deal than I thought it would be. I stayed in the hospital an extra night after requesting it from my surgeon - and very glad I did - although there's no place like home, I just needed that extra night of security and nursing.
SOMEHOW I lost 8 pounds before surgery - I did NOT diet - as a matter of fact, last weekend I had food and tequila funerals in San Francisco during SantaCon - awesome experience and I went out with a big ole' BANG!!!
Since surgery I've lost 4 pounds - so almost a pound a day. I realize this isn't actual fat melting off, but it makes me happy nonetheless. I walk everyday - some more than others, but do it everyday - I have a treadmill so I can stay inside in my jammies.
I video documented the entire thing (as much as I could), with my phone so when I fall off the wagon, or start freaking, or whatever, I can rewatch the vids - highly recommend this!
Let me know if you have more questions!
Leslie

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Sherrie P.
on 12/22/13 11:12 am
RNY on 02/06/13

OMG my band removal/revision was SO MUCH MORE painful than the band placement. It was surprising.  I was on Oxycodone.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/25/13 11:25 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I agree with Kelly. Call your surgeon if you think something is off. I had Band to rny in one surgery and while the port site was the sorest of my incisions (and lasted for 3 weeks) I was only ever on Tylenol. 

Hope you feel better soon 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Melanie C.
on 12/26/13 10:08 am

Thank you everyone for your responses. With Christmas and all I just haven't been online. I called the surgeons office and the nurse said that they had a struggle with my band coming out and that is probably why Im so sore, plus they did a Liver biopsy. I agree Percocet does not help at all! I started taking some lortab 10s I had to help me sleep at night and it really helped. Friday my teenage son had an appointment I had to go to with him about an hour away and I pushed myself to go, I feel that is exactly what I needed. I feel much better! I was able to walk better and although by the time I got home I was so uncomfortable, I took a hot shower laid in bed and just felt like a new person. I think the burning sensation is actually coming from one of the incisions and not from inside.  My surgery started at around 2 and I was on my way home by 8. I have also lost some weight since my surgery and I have been eating better then I have in 5 years. I see my surgeon again in 2 weeks and they said that they will be scheduling my RNY at that time in 4-6 weeks. I excited but, I also want to see what I can do without anything helping me.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views