What if we don't cheat?

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 3:38 am - OH

I've posted this before but it's been a really long time.  Sometimes people post asking what would happen if they cheat on their pre-op diet, and at some people I decided that we might be asking the wrong question.  Instead of wondering what would happen if we cheat, what if we thought about what would happen if we don't cheat?  And I think some of this applies to not cheating on our post op plan, too.

I don't really like the word "cheating," by the way, but I figure everyone knows what I mean if I use it here.

So.  What will happen if we decide not to cheat on the pre op diet?

1.  We'll miss out on eating some foods we like for a short time.
2.  We might crave something and might feel anxious or disappointed if we don't eat it.
3.  We might even feel hungry sometimes.
4.  We might have to deal with our feelings instead of stuffing them back inside with food.
5.  We'll detox from stuff like carbs and sugar.
6.  We'll probably lose a good bit of weight.
7.  We'll start looking at food as fuel for our bodies rather than something we eat for entertainment or other reasons.
8.  Our liver will probably shrink, which decreases the risk of needing open surgery.
9.  We'll reduce our risk of other complications, too.
10.  We'll learn that we can comply with a meal plan, even if it's hard.
11.  We'll be very proud of ourselves for doing it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

blopez579
on 1/20/14 3:41 am
RNY on 09/11/13

Nice change in perspective.... I like the view from here.

Thanks for posting it.

SteveWebb
on 1/20/14 4:09 am - NC

It's been a tough first day for me Kelly but I know after the first few days it will be easier.  I have been at work smelling food all day.  Blueberry muffins by the hundreds have been coming out of the ovens all afternoon.  I haven't eaten anything except a couple of yogurts that are allowed on my plan.  I have vowed to myself that I will do this for 2 weeks and will obey my Doctors.  I know it is for my best and with the Lords help I will make it and give him the credit when I'm through. 

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 4:11 am - OH

I'm sure it's extra hard when you work around food.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pookah
on 1/20/14 4:19 am - Dallas, TX

Thanks Kelly!

I am seven days away from my surgery, and though I haven't been tempted, this is going on my wall.

chulbert
on 1/20/14 4:20 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Then what will we post about?

PetHairMagnet
on 1/20/14 4:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

Then what will we post about?

Bwahaha

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

PetHairMagnet
on 1/20/14 5:04 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I've posted this before but it's been a really long time.  Sometimes people post asking what would happen if they cheat on their pre-op diet, and at some people I decided that we might be asking the wrong question.  Instead of wondering what would happen if we cheat, what if we thought about what would happen if we don't cheat?  And I think some of this applies to not cheating on our post op plan, too.

I don't really like the word "cheating," by the way, but I figure everyone knows what I mean if I use it here.

So.  What will happen if we decide not to cheat on the pre op diet?

1.  We'll miss out on eating some foods we like for a short time.
2.  We might crave something and might feel anxious or disappointed if we don't eat it.
3.  We might even feel hungry sometimes.
4.  We might have to deal with our feelings instead of stuffing them back inside with food.
5.  We'll detox from stuff like carbs and sugar.
6.  We'll probably lose a good bit of weight.
7.  We'll start looking at food as fuel for our bodies rather than something we eat for entertainment or other reasons.
8.  Our liver will probably shrink, which decreases the risk of needing open surgery.
9.  We'll reduce our risk of other complications, too.
10.  We'll learn that we can comply with a meal plan, even if it's hard.
11.  We'll be very proud of ourselves for doing it.

22 days pre-op diet without any cheating and will add this: the only cheating you ate doing is on yourself! Don't cheat on YOU!! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 6:11 am - OH

That's why I don't really like the word cheating.  You are only cheating yourself.

diane48
on 1/20/14 5:32 am
RNY on 05/07/13

23.  I will survive and thrive!  This could be added to the end of each of the sentences actually.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 213 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 226 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 213 views