Weight Gain - 4 years out

condrabo
on 2/24/14 12:01 am

Okay, for those of you who will say that it's only 8 pounds, that's how it starts.

So... my lowest weight after surgery was 142, but I only stayed there for a few weeks then went up to 144b and I maintained that for about two years. I'm about 3.5 years out from my surgery and just in the past 3 months, I have gained around 8 or so. My goal was never to go above 150 again (I'm 5'7", so 150 is healthy for me and still puts me in a size 5 jean). I am struggling getting those 8 pounds off. My weight fluctuates between 148-152 but lately has been staying on the very high end of that scale.

Please give me ideas on what to do to get back down... I know exercise and eating right, but I think I've literally forgotten the basics of eating correctly for the weight loss. I definitely need more protein in my diet but need to know what everyone is doing for major protein intake without starving themselves.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

HW/283/CW 191/SGW 160/PGW 140
Height 5'7"         

gbsinsatx
on 2/24/14 12:15 am - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/24/14 12:16 am - OH

I don't think you will have anyone here say "it's just 8 pounds" because everyone here knows very well that 5 pounds turns to 10 which turns to 30 if we don't do something to stop it!

Your best bet is to go back to basics: eat small, measured portions (at least for a little while, because it is easy to let portion sizes creep up as the years pass); eat the bulk of your protein first at every meal, and then some veggies or fruit once you have your protein in; significantly limit non-protein, non-veggie carbs (no "white carbs": flour based products, rice, processed sugar, etc.); no drinking with meals off or 30 minutes after a meal.

I am 6.5 years out and don't have any trouble getting 60-80g of protein in with some things that have become staples in my diet: Greek yogurt, cheeses, poultry, eggs, occasional red meat, nuts (almonds or cashews), milk, black beans, refried beans, and -- occasionally -- pork.  Just so I don't have to worry about counting protein, most days of the week I mix protein powder into my morning hot chocolate (I'm not a coffee drinker).

You may find that now that you have lost the caloric malabsorption, you need to eat slightly fewer calories in order to keep the weight in check than you did a year or two ago.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

condrabo
on 2/25/14 3:39 am
Thank you for the tips Lora!
HW/283/CW 191/SGW 160/PGW 140
Height 5'7"         

Ocalasam
on 2/24/14 12:50 am
RNY on 12/18/12

No, that's totally a big deal and I will likely freak when it happens to me.  I think your best bet is to do EVERYTHING that Lora said, and make sure you eat dense protein first.  I know it's easier to eat meat 4 years out, but if you eat lean meat first, I'm assuming you will still get full pretty fast, right?  If I eat meat first, I rarely have room for anything else.  I think grazing seems to be the culprit for a lot of people.....unintentional bites or handfuls here and there can add up before you even realize it.  Also, everyone I know that is pretty far out from surgery starts to drink with meals again.  It seems to be a real issue.

I would absolutely track everything you eat with myfitnesspal - best tool ever for maintenance in my opinion (besides the scale).  Then, you can really see the breakdown (protein, carbs, calories, etc) of what you are eating. 

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 2:26 am
RNY on 05/13/13

There is a back on track group here...or something close to that name...and while some of them have a zero after that 8, I think the same basic tentpoles apply and you'll find a very supportive group there.

I know for me, once I hit my goal weight, 5 lbs will be my 'worry wart' so I do fully understand that 8 is causing you upset/anxiety.

GOOD FOR YOU for recognizing it now and taking action!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

siberiancat
on 2/24/14 5:48 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

You have been given good advice.  I would check your bariatric plan.  My maintanence plan is 1200-1400 calories, 130+grams carbs and 80 grams protein a day for life.

If you aren't doing it - try a food diary for at least 6 weeks.  Write down every thing.  Total after lunch and after dinner.  I'm almost 5 years out - I've been doing a daily food diary for 6 weeks and it has been an EYE OPENER!!!  I found I was getting way to many carbs (junk carbs with no real nutrition) and not enough protein.  It is so easy to forget the bariatric bypass basics. (I'd stop reading on OH and don't go to support group anymore and have no acquaintances with bypass surgery).  I'm reading labels and writing everything down and adding totals.  I'm so glad that I'm back in control and plan to continue the daily log for at least 6 more weeks.

I aim for 1200 calories a day with under 100gm carbs, 80-100 gm protein and 100+ ounces of fluid.

Best wishes to  you.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

cajungirl
on 2/24/14 6:07 am

Agree with the other posters.  It happens and it's time to make some changes before it gets out of hand.  I'm not going to add anything more than what Lora and others have said.  This is when true maintenance becomes real work.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

White Dove
on 2/24/14 6:58 pm, edited 2/24/14 6:58 pm - Warren, OH

You are at the point where I joined Weigh****chers again.  It did not help me get any weight off, but it stopped the regain. I needed the accountability of stepping on their scale.  Now I step on my own scale every morning and honestly access what I did the day before.

I found out that when I want to lose weight it takes eating not slightly fewer calories but about 500 fewer calories a day to lose one pound a week.  Nothing like before surgery when I would lose five pounds a week if I dieted.  The 3500 calories equals one pound does not work when someone gains or loses seven pounds a week, but for me it does work as a slow and steady loss of 500 x 7 = 3500 or equals one pound down. 

The suggestion for a six week diary is excellent.  We have such wonderful tools available like myfitnesspal.  If you can give it six weeks of low calories and lose a pound a week, that should put you back to your happy place of below 150.  Some of the foods that help me when dieting are Greek Yogurt, Quest Bars, sugar free jello, sugar free puddings, homemade soups and chili, salads, and lots of water.

Some of the people on the vertical sleeve board rave about a recipe for Green Chicken Soup.  One of their members, Elina, goes on diets where she only drinks that for days at a time.  I am probably going to try that recipe.  I know that this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle.  But for me, if there is a weight gain of more than four pounds I need to go back to diet mentality until I am back to my goal.

As I approach seven years, I can look back and see that maintenance is like it is for normal people.  Any non-surgical person who stays at a low weight will cut back calories if they start to gain.  Some will tell you that they never do that and for some it may truly be unconscious, but:

• Maintaining weight will always mean eating just what the body burns.
  • Losing weight will always mean eating less than what is burned. 
  • Gaining weight will always mean eating more than the body burns.

High protein, low carb, increased exercise all help, but the only thing that truly makes the scale go down for me is cutting calories.

birdiegirl
on 2/24/14 7:54 pm

Hi White Dove.......I use Elina's Green Chicken Soup as filler also when I want to lose a few .....not overly tasty to me ( lots of pepper helps)....but very do-able......and it really is perfect as low carb high protein.....I just make sure I eat/drink the soupy part first and eat the chicken last to keep it in my pouch for awhile

....some of the best advice I have read is on the VSG board

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 313 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 6 replies · 98 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??