Constipation and Impaction...

Braceface
on 5/15/14 11:06 pm
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I am three weeks post surgery and have been learning from this forum everyday and although it is embarrassing I wanted to give back. In the last two weeks I have suffered from severe constipation and been impacted 4 times. I have had to do things with exam gloves and lubricants that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! Thank god I have found a solution. I have started drinking Natural Calm supplement every night. It contains magnesium and I have been going like clockwork every morning. I know it is available via amazon.

I hope this helps those who have suffered in silence like me.

Dcgirl
on 5/15/14 11:29 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

LOL @suffer in silence!  I take Senokat (a laxative) two or three times a week.  Once I took two and I won't do that again :)  I am sorry you have had problems - glad you found a solution!  It seems like many people take Miralax daily.  I am going to ask my NUT next week what she thinks.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/17/14 12:48 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Does your surgeon know you take an actual laxative instead of a stool softener 3x a week?  The issue with frequent use of laxatives is that your colon becomes dependent upon them and you can actually become more constipated because of overuse.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Dcgirl
on 5/17/14 2:27 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hmmmm, that's good to know, Sonja. He said it was ok but I have a follow-up appt this week and I will ask again. I am not trying to do any more damage to my poor body! Thanks for the info :)

ShebasMom
on 5/17/14 8:44 pm, edited 5/17/14 8:47 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

A stimulant laxative is OK for short term very infrequent use, but not long term regular use.  It can permanently change/damage the bowel and cause dependence. 

Miralax and colace are safe to use daily. Pericolace contains a stimulant laxative.

snansen
on 5/16/14 1:34 am - Renton, WA

I share your pain!  I spent Mother's Day evening in the most uncomfortable and gruesome bathroom experience ever. I gave birth to two children naturally and this was by far the more painful experience!  Thank you for sharing your solution. I am using miralax now, but would prefer something different.  

Sheri

HW 284; SW 257; GW 135

¿Qué sería de mí si no fuera por tu gracia y tu amor?

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/14 4:28 am

Too much magnesium have also different side effects.  when the magnesium is not enough- switch to MIralax... I take magnesium at night, miralax - 2 capfuls - in my morning coffee. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/14 6:53 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I am five months out today - I take Miralax everyday - if I miss a day I painfully pay for it. :-)

Sherrie P.
on 5/16/14 1:27 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I take Colace - without any stimulants.  2 pills at night and 1 in the morning. If I do not ... bad news.  I take the wal-mart brand and it works great.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

snoble9111
on 5/16/14 2:22 pm

Thank you for sharing! I'm 6 weeks post op. and have been struggling for past 10 days with constipation. Miramax twice a day finally gave me relief, but I bet it will be a constant problem.

Most Active
Recent Topics