Hello, I used to be on OH alot...mostly lurking and learning. 5 year update with PICS

lomercha
on 6/3/14 3:19 pm

Hi,

I had my RNY on July 7th, 2009. Highest weight was 255lbs. I am only 5ft 1.5inches. My original (personal goal) goal weight wasw 125lbs. I have never reached that...and I am O.K. with that. I am in my 40's and it may not be realistic for me. My current weight is 139   Total loss of 116lbs.

I hope to get down to 130lbs (or 135lbs) by July 7th... my official surgiversary. We will see. I am getting ready to embark on my "plastics" journey to rid myself of excess skin and restore my breasts (currently posing as empty tube socks) 

Overall I am very happy. I look back on the past 5 years and shudder at the thought of not having the chance to get this surgery. I feel blessed...for me it is a freedom I did not experience before. I also see it as a tool and have confidence that if I begin to slip a little, I ALWAYS have my tool to help me get back on track. 

I will try to lurk less and contribute more. 
Thanks,

Lorri

Before 255

tdbull
on 6/3/14 5:14 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Welcome back and congrats. I love reading about successful long term vets. What's your secret to keeping your weight down for so many years? I want every advantage and tip so I can do the same.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Gail S.
on 6/3/14 7:55 pm - New York, NY

Congratulations! 

karenp8
on 6/3/14 9:38 pm - Brighton, IL

Nice to meet you,Lorri,and congratulations on your loss and maintaining for all these years. I look forward to more posts from you. I love OH because it provides support and keeps me accountable too. I am 21 months post op and have lost 140 pounds. I am thankful everyday for my surgery!

Nancy
on 6/3/14 10:22 pm - Kasson, MN

Keep up the work, u are doing great!

MyLady Heidi
on 6/3/14 11:36 pm

You look gorgeous!  Congrats!  Good Luck with the plastics.

lomercha
on 6/4/14 1:20 am

Thanks everybody. I cannot stress enough how important OH was to me pre surgery and in the year post surgery. This is a great support community. 

As to "tips" for long-term success:

First, i had periods of bounce back weight gain of 20 to 30lbs. In 5 years there have been ups and downs. But most importantly I don't panic. I view my surgery as a tool that I choose to use. When I find the scale creeping up I start counting calories (basically I keep a food diary). I don't completely  agree with those that say counting calories is not the same for us RNY folk. Even if it is true...that calories work different for us...keeping a food diary is still a worthy tool...it can be a real wake up! For me it is THE key for successfully taking off the extra pounds.

I try to still listen to my body...for instance my nose still starts running when I have had enough food. I stop eating when this happens (even though I could physically eat more). 

I obey the no drinking and eating rule...religiously. This is really an important rule for long term success. If I find I am really thirsty, I don't have more than a sip or two or I suck on an ice cube.

I don't really dump...at first I was upset by this, but now I am grateful. I do have a general yucky feeling after eating certain foods which is good for me.

The biggest thing I have had to do is continue to work to fight head hunger and coping eating. One way I do this is to take better care of myself and my needs. It is still a battle. I say NO to people more often, I speak up when I need to and I try not to stuff my emotions. Some would say I am not as "nice" a person post surgery...these are the people *****ally liked the people pleasing version of me... I am still a nice person, I just no longer put everyone else's needs before mine.

Thanks for listening, Lorri

selhard
on 6/4/14 12:41 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I seek out vet advice and need to read it over and over and over...thanks.  The only tip you gave I don't have to work on is being "not nice"/saying "no"...those came naturally with 50+ age. 

Patm
on 6/4/14 1:39 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You look beautiful. Congrats on your success.

siberiancat
on 6/4/14 1:51 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Thanks for posting.  Our surgeries were just a few months apart.  You look great.  I agree with keeping the food diary.  I do it for several months every year and it "eye opening" how much non nutritous food we allow to sneak in!!

I don't participate on OH as much as the first couple of years after my RNY, but I do find it helpful to remind me I will always be a RNY patient and I need input from others that have the same issues that I do.  Don't be a stranger.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics