How much fluid, especially long term ?

lomercha
on 7/2/14 4:20 am

Hi,

I am 5 years post RNY. I know in the first year I tracked my fluid religiously. Not so much since then... Recently I have decided that I don't think I am getting enough fluid. (Never had official dehydration issues).

i cannot remember what my fluid goal should be. Also, do you include your protein shakes and decaf coffee in your fluid total.

Thanks, Lorri 

poet_kelly
on 7/2/14 4:53 am - OH

I count all liquids.  Why wouldn't you?

Most doctors seem to recommend 64 oz a day.  The Mayo  Clinic says most people actually need more than that, an average of nine to 13 cups a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenniPenny
on 7/2/14 5:29 am - MN

Never did protein shakes as per my doc but I do count decaf coffee as part of my liquid iintake for the day. I'm 13 yrs out and still use the 64 ounce minimum as a starting point. I'm active so have always done a bit more. When doing strenuous activities I double the water intake. In other climates (I'm from MN) where it's dryer I up the water even more. In New Mexico doing high desert hiking I did 180 ounces per day (the program minimum). I thought it would be hard but it wasn't and never had a dehydration issue. Here in the summer working outside I always do more than the recommended 64 ounces.

Jen RNY 2001

karenp8
on 7/2/14 6:41 am - Brighton, IL

My doctor says a minimum of 64 ounces but I am active and when the weather is warm here in Illinois I try to do more.

ShrinkingJoe
on 7/3/14 5:54 am

No need to track.  Just look at your urine.  Assuming you are otherwise healthy, if it is light in color and almost orderless, you are good.  If it is concentrated, dark in color and has a strong smell, you are probably dehydrated.  Also use your watch - if you need to pee right after drinking liquids, your hydration level is probably fine.  It is when you stop having to go that you have a problem.

Just like in everything, everyone is different.  For a normal day, if I drank 64 oz of liquid, I'd be in the bathroom a lot.  If I'm sweating a lot, sure - I drink more.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/3/14 2:42 pm - OH

Most surgeons recommend 64 ounces, but people's individual needs vary quite a bit.  I have never needed that much to avoid dehydration, but I am one of the people who has had trouble with kidney stones since my RNY, so I have to really push myself to drink more.

As already mentioned, your urine should be light colored and odorless, and that is one of the easiest ways to tell if you are drinking enough BEFORE you reach the point where you are dehydrated.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lomercha
on 7/4/14 4:24 am

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the support we get here on the forum. Your information was helpful!!

Silverbelle69
on 7/5/14 9:47 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

My surgeon asked me how much I was getting.  When I replied 64 oz. he said "well you could really double that"    I just get so busy at work I forget.  Wish I had a hat with 2 bottles of water on top and a straw coming down into my mouth so I could multitask!   LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics