Dizzy spells and white outs

Braceface
on 8/15/14 11:21 am, edited 8/15/14 11:23 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

When I crouch for a little while (looking at bottom shelf for example) and then stand I  am getting dizzy. This never happened prior to surgery but is happening all the time now.  It is occasionally so bad that I start to white out and have to hold on to something not to fall. Any suggestions prior to seeming my doc?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/15/14 11:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like orthostatic hypotension, also known as positional hypotension. You can google it.

Basically, it's a drop in blood pressure when you stand up from sitting, lying down or squatting. It happens to a fair number of postops. I blacked out a few times from it.

You need to drink more fluids than you are currently, and increase electrolytes and salt. It usually goes away after several months when your body catches up to the changes.

You or your doc can check to see if this is the issue easily enough. Test your blood pressure laying or sitting down, then test it immediately after standing. There should be a marked drop in BP. It will return to normal pretty quick, so you need to check it fast.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sherrie P.
on 8/15/14 12:04 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Yes....what he said!!

I get it too now. 

Rehydrate, get up slowly - expect it.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

White Dove
on 8/15/14 1:47 pm - Warren, OH

When you were bigger your heart had to work harder to pump blood.  It is pumping more slowly now. When you are lying down, sitting or crouching, it tends to pool in the lower legs.  Then you stand up and it suddenly needs to pump enough to get up to your head.  It takes a short time to get adjusted and you are not getting enough blood to your head immediately so you get lightheaded.

I was told to pump my legs a few times before standing up from sitting or lying down and that the blood would get pumping again.  That worked for me.  But crouching down to look at the bottom shelf still is a bit of a problem for me some days.  I sometimes need to grab at something and pull myself up again. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CHELLEYGIRL
on 8/16/14 12:51 am - PALMDALE, CA

I had this before surgery and still have it. it has gotten worse since surgery. like the posters above, dr told me to drink more fluids.

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Caroline K.
on 8/16/14 7:47 am

A few weeks ago I went to see my PCP since Guelph found my blood pressure low and I was experiencing occasional light-headedness, mostly when sitting up, or moving my head too swiftly. Anyways, my doctor told me that my blood pressure had always been low (thanks for mentioning that earlier!) but recommend that I see a "vestibular therapist" for an assessment. Turns out I have balance issues, and some of the crystals in the inner ear have moved out of position. One treatment so far, and things are much better.

There's some info on my therapist's web site, http://www.vorphysio.com/vestibular-rehabilitation.html, which also has some informative links.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics