Surgery in 2 weeks, can I please tag along with RNYers I am a mini.

Liquefiedstars
on 11/19/14 4:27 pm - Australia

I just signed up in the hopes that I would find others having or who have had the Mini Gastric Bypass. This does not seem to be a widely undertaken procedure which is making me nervous. My surgeon here in Australia has just recently started to perform these as well. I was meant to have this done in January next year but my surgery days has moved up to early December. Are the after effects similar to the RNY bypass ect, I really feel like I need support to keep on track as I have struggled with food and weight problems for 20 years.

I posted the above in the mini gastric bypass forum but did not get a response my understanding is that this is not covered by many insurance companies and so there is not a great deal of people having this procedure.  

Would it be alright if I tagged along on the RNY forum for support?  Essentially it's still a gastric bypass just different rerouting. 

White Dove
on 11/19/14 7:38 pm - Warren, OH

Congratulations on your surgery.  Please hang out here and keep us posted on it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GodsChildII
on 11/19/14 9:02 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I had a "short" bypass (which is also referred to as a mini bypass). It makes logical sense to follow this forum because you will find your experience to be extremely similar. This forum helped me tremendously in preparing for surgery and especially immediately following surgery. My insurance paid for my surgery and again my requirements were no different then what it would have been if I would have had a full gastric bypass. 

Congratulations on the beginning of your journey and best of luck! 

Okiebon
on 11/20/14 12:22 am

@Liquifiedstars I'm in the same situation you are.  I plan to have a Mini Gastric Bypass after the first of the year (I wish mine would get moved up, too!) and I've been hanging out gathering a lot of great information here in the RNY forum.  The MGB is gaining in popularity here in the states as more and more positive results from medical studies are published on the procedure.  I personally know two people who've had an MGB and their results are really impressive.  One had his done about 2 1/2 years ago and he just finished running a full marathon a few weeks ago.  The other had her surgery a little over 3 years ago and she looks fabulous. 

Did your surgeon say why he's recently started performing them?  Or why he recommends it for you?

iloveravens
on 11/20/14 1:13 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Welcome! Of course you can hang out here...  I hang out here and the Sleeve forum all of the time :)  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Liquefiedstars
on 11/20/14 7:55 pm - Australia

Thanks all :)  I am so glad to have a community.  I live in an isolated area with no support groups.  My surgeon did an endoscopy a month ago and said that my sleeve that I had done in 2008 is stretched somewhat out of shape.  He felt that a re-sleeve would not be the answer and he said also that back in 2008 they made the sleeves too big.  

He started this procedure due to the positive results and also they are much simpler than the RNY.  I still feel very nervous about having this done mainly due to the lifelong commitment to taking supplements.  I also have hypothyroidism so have struggled to lose weight even with the sleeve. I also suffer back pain and I am not sure what pain meds I will no longer be able to take? 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/14 9:36 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

With an RNY, we can no longer take NSAIDs.  That pretty much leaves tylenol and narcotics.  Has the doctor discussed with you what you will take for pain after surgery? 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Liquefiedstars
on 11/21/14 4:45 pm - Australia

No but I have another appointment shortly.

more2adore
on 11/21/14 7:39 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

Can I ask what state you're in? Not many of us Aussies on this forum. :) Welcome. Have you looked into having the DS instead? I know you mentioned an aversion to supplements and that requires even more... but you'd still be able to take NSAIDs afterwards. Just a thought. There's really only one well-respected surgeon in Aus that performs them though and he's in Melbourne. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/21/14 10:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I ask about this because I see so many posts where people didn't fully understand the ramifications of "no NSAIDs" until after surgery.  For me, this hasn't been a big deal -- I was a big Excederin Migraine user before surgery, but thankfully, I have not had headaches since.  However, for people who suffer chronic pain such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc ... this can be a difficult aspect.  Please be sure to talk to your surgeon/doctor about it so that you can have a plan in place before you no longer have options.  

BTW, welcome to the board.  I didn't have a "mini" bypass -- but having WLS was the best decision I have ever made.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??