<3 from my doctor

MyLady Heidi
on 3/6/15 9:30 pm

I went to my doctor yesterday and had a long discussion about gastric bypass, nutrition, maintenance and keeping diabetes at bay.  Before I left she said to me I should do lectures on how all this works for new patients because I fully understand and have maintained for nearly ten years.  She is such a sweetheart and I loved hearing the compliment.

lburrell
on 3/6/15 10:56 pm

As someone who just reached goal weight and will soon head into maintenance...gotta say kudos to you for maintaining 10 years. To be honest, I'm scared to death of maintenance. To know that others have succeeded is very encouraging. Thanks for your post.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

MyLady Heidi
on 3/7/15 8:48 am

It was a learning curve and I am never ****y, I know how easy it is to regain so I keep myself accountable.

Good Luck.

Doingrightin2015
on 3/6/15 11:24 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I think that is a wonderful compliment for her to make. Keeping it off 10 years is fantastic and maybe you should think of starting up a  program for bypass Patients to help them keep it off. Maybe you can start a franchise all across the country!!! You know like the WW International out there!!!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

MyLady Heidi
on 3/7/15 8:52 am

No I lend my support here and anyone who asks.  My doctor likes how seriously I take diabetes and know it can return, I still test all the time and keep track of how different foods effect me.  I love science experiments, even if its on myself.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/6/15 11:49 pm, edited 3/6/15 11:50 pm

No seriously, you REALLY should.

There is a newly diagnosed gal on this site (i.e. Lily2) who seems like she could use a friend in her new walk with diabetes.  She is contemplating RNY too.  She could really use your input.

My hubby, when he was diagnosed, was DEVASTATED. He thought it was "The end".  Same with another girl friend of mine.  Both my hubby and my friend had classes over several weeks about how to use their monitors, what to eat, how much to eat and carb targets.

Sadly, my grandmother, Lily2, and other diabetics I have met through life, seem not to always have these classes available to them. How will they learn?  How will they ever be able to properly care of themselves if they are not helped or taught?

Heidi, I think this may be one of those rare moments where the universe/god/karma/whatever deity you subscribe to is knocking at your door and asking you to do ONE MORE GOOD THING (you already do a good thing by coming here. But somehow the really great spiritual/karmic warriors get called to duty a bit more than the rest of us deadbeats).

Consider it.  At least consider rolling it around...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Lily2
on 3/7/15 4:49 am

Thank you so much for remembering my dilemma and mentioning me to Heidi.  Any help I can get will be MOST appreciated.  (Virtual hug)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/7/15 6:13 am

Most diabetics would be up **** creek if they did not eat all day, then ate once arriving home until bedtime.

Deadbeats? Nice slap there. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

SkinnyScientist
on 3/7/15 8:21 am

Deadbeats? Nice slap there. 

-?????  I am not sure where that came from since it was not addressed to you or at you.  We have rarely conversed, in fact.  So I must ask, "What is your problem?"  Can you not stand when people make jokes or speak with humility? Because that was what that comment was about.

Perhaps Rosie you have an issue with Heidi and just have to take it out on anyone that is friendly to her/with her?  What gives you the right to be the kindness police? Would you like to come to my job and my church and point out "who is worth it" too?  

With that said, I have not been asked to teach a diabetes or weight loss class.  Nor have ANY of my diabetic friends.  Heidi's doc seems to think she would be a good resource. So, perhaps one should yield to the doctors professional judgement.  Also, if he praised her perhaps you COULD CONSIDER feeling happy for her that she did SOMETHING worthy of that praise.  The world is full of negative feedback. Positive feedback is really rare.

So in sum Rosie, "Way to **** on someone's happy moment."  If I ever accomplish anything beautiful or good in the future, please skip over the post in which I glow/beam over it.  I don't want you ruining my happy moments either.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

MyLady Heidi
on 3/7/15 9:14 am

I am not diabetic, I was prior to wls, and my diet which I discussed at length with my doctor is based on the fact that if I eat even protein, I will need to continue to eat all day.  If I do not eat until the end of the day my blood sugar remains stable all day.  This is based on the fact I am a systems analyst that sits behind a computer all day without physical activity.  My doctor agreed this works for me given my job but would not work for her.  We both agreed breakfast is just a wsste of calories which I rarely partake in, even on weekends when I eat two meals I don't eat in the morning.  These are my personal preferences and have worked successfully for me, I never suggested anyone eat this way.  My doctor suggested I lecture because I test my bloodsugar frequently and have developed an eating plan for myself to keep myself at goal with a normal a1c and know rny isn't a cure of diabetes, that no matter how perfect I maintain diabetes may return, so I look at this time without it as a gift.  My mother died at 61 taking 5 shots a day, I can't do that, I am a severe needle-phobe, so rny was my only hope of gaining more time diabetes free.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 352 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 253 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 114 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?