Iron and Hysterectomy??

radze09
on 3/9/15 12:59 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Just wondering if you have to take an iron supplement after surgery if you have had a hysterectomy? Iron levels are fine pre-op. I know everyone is different and docs have different thoughts about things for different patients. But just curious what others have experienced. Thanks!

NYMom222
on 3/9/15 1:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had responded, you had multiple posts and then it disappeared. ??? So if this is a repeat, I am sorry. I am in the same situation, After surgery I was taking vitamin without iron and my iron was fine, then switched to a bariatric vitamin with iron... now am struggling with constipation. I am seeing the doc tomorrow and going to ask about it...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

radze09
on 3/9/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

The page kept giving an error and then I realized they posted. Sorry!! So I tried to delete the other ones. I take a multi now with iron and have not been told not to, but never asked directly if I should or should not. They just make sure I am taking one.

rocky513
on 3/9/15 1:22 pm - WI

I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago.  After RNY surgery, in 2010, my ferritin plummeted to single digits.  I tried to bring it up with massive doses of iron to no avail.  I have had to get iron infusions to keep my iron up.  I take triple doses of iron to try to slow the iron loss.  I think that some WLS patients just don't hold on to the iron in their bodies while others do just fine.  The key is keeping up with your yearly lab work and adjusting your supplements when needed.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

radze09
on 3/9/15 1:22 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Please let me know what you find out!! ☺

NYMom222
on 3/10/15 12:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doctor concurred on the 36mg a day.... I am just looking for something that is non-constipating. That is my problem....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

radze09
on 3/9/15 1:27 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

I am sorry you have to go through all that! That can not be fun! I am glad you are able to hang in there!! I have a whole list of questions for the doc next month, but curiosity gets to me and I want to know how others are doing. Thanks for responding!

poet_kelly
on 3/9/15 2:29 pm - OH

The ASMBS recommends 36 mg iron a day if you do not menstruate.  Some people will need more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 3/9/15 10:42 pm, edited 3/9/15 10:46 pm - Warren, OH

I was post hysterectomy and after the first six months I was told I did not need an iron supplement.  My iron stayed good for almost seven years after RNY and then dropped.  I was extremely fatigued and knew something was wrong.

Now I take Ferrous Gluconate 324 Mg Tablets twice a day.  I have been taking them since last August and will have testing done again this summer.

Every person is different and I have always had my labs done on time and then discussed them with my surgeon and dietitian.  I started with the recommended amounts of each vitamin and then adjustments were made as needed based on lab results.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Karen M.
on 3/9/15 11:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada

That is completely dependent on your personal body and ongoing blood work results.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 283 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?