Consult Tomorrow

floweringgemini
on 3/17/15 1:20 am - Rocky Point, NC

It has finally come, my first appointment moving towards the rest of my life. I pretty much think I am good to go and have all of the information I need. I do know for a fact that insurance will cover the surgery and several people from my job have used our insurance for this without hassle. Any suggestions on things I might need to ask tomorrow or ways to keep the process moving quickly and smoothly?

Doingrightin2015
on 3/17/15 2:55 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Wishing you the best of luck. They will have their own agenda of what steps they will need you to take. They should or will find out what your insurance will require. Mine required 6 months of supervised diet plan. I had  Phycology evaluation my first visit, talked to the surgeon discussed the different options and decided what I wanted to do. I meet with the NUT and got that to count as my 1 of 6 required. Then I went back every 4 weeks until I reached number 6. Then they applied for auth for my surgery and I got it within 2 days. Then I had to get a EDG done by my surgeon, do a nut class for my 2 week pre-op diet, physical by my doctor, ekg and blood work.  I wanted to cry when  first heard my insurance required 6 diet counceling sections. But I think I started it all around the 19th of Sept and on March 10 I had my surgery. I am now 1 week post op.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

floweringgemini
on 3/17/15 3:04 am - Rocky Point, NC

I am expecting a bunch of information that I dont want to hear such as 6 months guided weight loss, but I am hoping that all the time on diet meds and weigh****chers and such will count for something. 

Doingrightin2015
on 3/17/15 3:56 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Don't get your hopes up I had all of that too! I even made lifetime on WW and was a WW leader!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Rosalie123
on 3/17/15 7:53 am

What kind of insurance do you have? Long story short ... I started the 6 months supervised visits and found out that the criteria changed for my insurance company (Wellmark). So I went through 4 months of supervised visits. As I look back, glad I had the time to really think about the life altering decision ... Because it is life altering and you have to prepare yourself. Sure glad I was ready because it is not an easy road but we are so fortunate to have the opportunity to change our life! Good luck!!

RNY 2/24/15

floweringgemini
on 3/17/15 9:33 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I BCBS. My insurance company policy does not specify a timeline just numbers pretty much, like BMI and age restrictions. There will be psych and NUT required but the insurance does not specify a time line.

Maria27
on 3/17/15 7:32 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Your understanding of nutrition and what you should be eating is really important too. Luckily my insurance did not require nutrition classes, and my dietitian said I didn't need to take them because I already knew what they covered fairly well. That plus my previous attempts at weight loss helped me get a surgery date fairly quick.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

floweringgemini
on 3/17/15 9:31 pm - Rocky Point, NC

The previous attempts is what I am hoping to have on my side. I am pretty well familiar with the nutritional part as well. Like it has been said many times, the surgery is a tool for us to use not a magic cure. I know why I eat out of control and bad stuff, I also know that I dont like to be sick feeling. The tool for me will be to remind me that I cannot eat the crap that I want to or else it is going to make me sick and keep me overweight. At least if there is a 6 month requirement I know that I should be done with surgery and recovery and ready to look better than ever at the Christmas Party this year. I am so excited today feels like a birthday. Some say surgery is it but today is the beginning of the journey to the new me. So glad I found this site and all of you it has been inspiring and helpful. I am ready for all the good bad and ugly that comes with this life change.

Most Active
Recent Topics