5 weeks - any restaurant or fast food I can eat?

mute
on 4/21/15 3:00 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My birthday was a week ago and I was in a lot of pain so I didn't do anything. I'm feeling better now and thinking I'll feel much better by this weekend, by then I'll be around 5 weeks out. My Mom is going on vacation next week and wants to do something with me this weekend and that would include going somewhere to eat. 

At home I'm eating hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, string cheese, mashed cauliflower, tuna, crab, etc...

I really haven't been planning on going out to eat for a while. I figured it was just better to avoid the hassle until I was more on solid food and had a better handle on things. So if this is a bad idea I will just tell her that. My success with this is much more important to me.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/15 3:24 am

I would ask her for a raincheck - and to do that (go out to eat) when she gets back.. in a meantime - if that was me - going for a walk and a talk.. would be my first choice...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

betony63
on 4/21/15 3:39 am

What about doing something different, like H.a.l.a suggested. Maybe your mom would like to go for a manicure or pedicure or something like that, where you could talk and be pampered at the same time?

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

mute
on 4/21/15 4:03 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I was thinking the same thing, maybe a pedicure so we can talk. We live about an hour away from each other, in small towns and we meet in a bigger town to do things because there is nothing to do where either of us live. I could bring a protein drink with me because right now I feel like all I do is drink water, eat, wait, drink water and repeat lol. I'll see if that will work for her because while I think I have the will power I'm worried something in how they prepare whatever I would order would screw me up and I would not be happy with that! 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

boxtop2006
on 4/21/15 4:59 am
RNY on 03/24/15

You could go to Out Back or somewhere that you know will have soup.  Take some unflavored protien powder with you add it to potato soup or any soup and you can eat and get your protein. Just make sure you still pay attention to how much you eat, and don't drink with your meal. 

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Chilipepper
on 4/21/15 8:41 am

Don't eat potato soup.  Why do people think that is ok? It's a bowl of carbs no matter how much protien you put in it.   

Get a filet. It's tender and easy on the pouch or some grilled shrimp. You can find sonething on any menu if you remember protien NOT carbs

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

boxtop2006
on 4/21/15 10:16 am, edited 4/22/15 1:54 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Chilipepper, I would agree but my doctor told me that until I was able to handle solids, potatoes were ok as long as I added protein to it.  I'm not saying to eat potatoes every day or at every meal but I wasn't sure how she was handling food at this point.  Every doctor will tell you something different or what they believe and how they want you to eat,  I was just giving a suggestion.  

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Chilipepper
on 4/22/15 6:52 am

It's great that you are trying to suggest. There are a million other options to eat other than carb loaded foods. Scrambled eggs, egg salad, seafood, deli meats and cheeses ... If you need suggestions we have a million. Potatoes shouldnt be an option. Surgeons are good at cutting but they should not be advocating potatoes or cream of wheat or farina or anything else carb loaded. Search Ketosis.  It is what we try to stay in post WLS because that is when the body is optimally burning fat for fuel. Carbs prevent you from entering ketosis. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Corrie33
on 4/21/15 5:23 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I'm 10 weeks out and I've been getting together with my Mom once a week for years.  We always went out for dinner and drinks... can't do that anymore.  So I was worried about how to find things to do every week that didn't include food or alcohol... but we're doing great!  Often times we just take my dog to the park and walk laps and talk for as long as we can.  Or we'll go to the mall and meander around for a couple hours.  Once we went to the flower fields and just enjoyed all the colors.  You might be amazed at how much your Mom will understand and be willing to try new things.

As for us, I think I'm ready to try some Egg Drop Soup at our old favorite Chinese place, so this week we're going to walk up there and give it a try.  It'll be our first "food" outing, but we're keeping it small and working it off by walking. 

You and your Mom are going to do great.  Enjoy your pedicures!

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/21/15 5:39 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I would find something else to do.  Although there are options you can eat at restaurants, you're only five weeks out and should focus on your own best interests right now.

Any museums that you could visit?  Nature trails?  A mani/pedi is a great idea too.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics