gallbladder kaput

shannon0731
on 5/5/15 3:34 am - LA

Almost four years post op and the gall bladder is coming out next week.  I would love some ideas on what is best to eat in the days and weeks following surgery.  TIA

I'm Ready!

ChristineB
on 5/5/15 3:58 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

The best thing to do is stay away from any trigger foods that would cause you to have a GB attack. As far as afterwards the doc will give you diet guidelines. I found that my bowels went haywire for a couple of years and would have the runs at the drop of a hat.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

aesposito
on 5/6/15 6:00 am

Mine is coming out the 18th.  I was told to just go easy on fatty foods the first few weeks while my liver takes up the slack in bile storage... (the liver makes bile, but the gall bladder stores it).

As I live off fatty foods and protein, this should be interesting.  I have already had to eat more carbs than I am comfortable with as all my favorite foods currently make me nauseous... and I don't want to fall back into any kind of carb trap.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Focal
on 5/6/15 10:25 am - Peterborough, Canada

I had mine out at 6 weeks.  For me eating didn't really change all the much since.  You do have to watch for high fat foods, but we should be avoiding those now anyways :). 

Referral from Family Doctor - November 4/13  |  Orientation date for HRRH - January 9/14  |  1st meeting with surgeon - January 30/14  |  Dietician, Registered Nurse, Social Worker Appointments – Feburary 10/14 | Second Dietician - March 11/14 | Dr Glazer - March 20/14 | Sleep Test - March 24/14 | Sleep Test Results - April 15/14 | 2nd Surgeon Appointment - May 13/14 | PATTS - September 30/14 | Surgery Date - October 21/14

aesposito
on 5/6/15 8:38 am, edited 5/6/15 8:38 am

Be careful not to paint all high-fat foods with the same evil brush.  I haven't avoided high fat foods at all in four years and I'm doing fine (except for the damn gallbladder) and maintaining a nearly 200 pound loss. 

Fat does not make us fat.  Calories and carbs make us fat.  Some high-fat foods contain calories and carbs of course, but some do not.  More importantly, many "low fat" versions of foods include extra sugar and other fillers for taste and consistency after the fat is removed.

Good fats, in moderation, are necessary for health.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/6/15 4:19 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views